1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best regional food/drinks thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know we've done threads on beers, soft drinks, candy bars and hamburgers among other things, but I wanted to try to encompass it all in one. What are some of the best food and drink products you can get in certain parts of the country but not everywhere?

I'm not talking about regional specialties (Maryland crab cakes, Mississippi River catfish, etc.), but specific brand names you can buy in the grocery store or convenience store --- soft drinks, potato chips, candy, that sort of stuff.

I'll start it off. Here are some of my favorites from my area of the Gulf South, which encompasses basically Mobile to New Orleans:

1. Barq's root beer (first bottled in Biloxi, Miss.) --- You can get it pretty much anywhere in the country in cans and plastic bottles nowadays, but only along the Gulf Coast in the glass bottles. Trust me, it just tastes different.

2. Zapp's potato chips (Gramercy, La.) --- Thick cut, almost burned and spiced with everything from crab boil to Tobasco sauce. Good, good stuff.

3. Conecuh sausage (Evergreen, Ala.) --- Thin and spicy. Great on the grill. Excellent with red beans and rice.

How about some of your favorites?

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Sahlen's hot dogs - Buffalo, NY. I know they're just hot dogs, but Sahlen's are the best IMO.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

KC has Guy's potato chips.... something about the BBQ flavor. Best I've ever had

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Spotted Cow beer -- Wisconsin

5. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Grippos BBQ Potato Chips - Cincinnati

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The best sangria I've ever had was in Austin.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not sure if they're available elsewhere or not ...

Snyder's of Hanover pretzels and Herr's chips - NE Pennsylvania.

Abruzzino's (and numerous others) pepperoni rolls - NC West Virginia

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Isaly's Chipped Ham. Don't think I've ever seen it outside of the Pittsburgh area. I miss it.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Barq's Red Creme Soda -- Cincinnati/Indiana/???

My all-time favorite pop. Had it at Grandma's in Cincy as a kid, it was heaven. Then I'd return to Atlanta, where it wasn't available. I was damn excited to move to Indiana and get red pop again, though the diet version isn't easily found here. Cincinnati has both. Maybe other places do, but I doubt it's many.

Curious as to when Barq's root beer became a Coca-Cola product, whereas the creme soda is unaffiliated.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

SunDrop citrus soda -- North Carolina's where I had it, but probably a Tennessee Valley/Mid-South thing

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hatch green chile products -- especially the queso dip they no longer make -- available throughout the Southwest (Calif., Ariz., N.M.)

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Vernor's Ginger Ale. You can get it in Michigan and at least parts of Florida. Not sure where else, but it's not distributed nationally.

Draft saved Draft deleted