1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Apr 9, 2008.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

I love quotes.
    Just curious to see what some of the better quotes an athlete/quote has given you for a story.
    One of my personal favorites is from a Big 12 college basketball player after a loss to terrible team.

--"If you don't represent you become a victim of representation."

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

"You're saying I suck, Brodie suck, the line suck, the receivers suck. That's what you're saying when you say that."

A certain former SEC running back before the Cotton Bowl one year, concerning his team's reputation as a defense-first team. The offense produced one TD in the game, but still won.

3. txscoop

txscoop Member

His knee was down on that one touchdown

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was Keith Brown's knee ...

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I thought about pointing that out, if only to accentuate that the offense indeed did suck, but I thought I'd let it pass.

Or, as one of his teammates might say, "It do, it do, it do, yeah, yeah, yeah, it do."

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Followed closely by, "It is what it is man, you know, it is what it is, and that's all that there is."

7. hankschu

hankschu Member

Question to pitcher Julian Tavarez 11 years ago when the Giants optioned him to Triple-A: "So, what do you hope to accomplish in Phoenix?"

Tavarez: "I want to eat and fart all day."

Ran it without commentary. None needed.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Then-Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney, when asked the following ice-breaker question before the 2004 Music City Bowl:

Reporter: "So, what do you think of Nashville so far?"

Maroney: "Man, this place sucks. I could never live here."

His present was a return trip to Nashville the following year. If only he had been drafted by the Titans ...

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Dad a dandy in our paper last night.

Bradley player Daniel Ruffin: "Without my parents, I wouldn't be here."

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Joe Altobelli was managing the Giants, a poor road team, who started a long trip by being swept three games. Asked if playing seven more on the road concerned him, Altobelli replied, "What the shit, you gotta play 'em somewhere."

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Former Iowa basketball player Reggie Evans, when asked about fans chanting his name after his big game at the Big Ten Tournament: "They were saying my two favorite words: Reg-Gie."

12. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

"We can't win at home or on the road. My failure as a coach is that I can't think of anywhere else to play." Then-Whalers coach Harry Neale

Draft saved Draft deleted