1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Press Box Food For College Football In the Nation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a shit about the media food in the league I work in (Plymouth's is the best BTW) but when I was in Memphis I went to the Rendezvous. I thought it was great, mind you we don't have any good barbecue joints here in Toronto, that I know of anyway. I liked the whole back alley thing too. And AutoZone Park is great.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

MSU Dairy Store probably served the ice cream. Best damn ice cream in the state of Michigan.

Here are some of their best-named flavors:

Badger Cherry Cheesecake
    Final Four Fudge Dribble
    Gopher More
    Purdue Tracks
    Wildcat Crunch
    Sesquicentennial Swirl

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Not football but the spread at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee for Marquette or Bucks games is unreal. I have not been there in a couple of years but they put out an amazing spread.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Domino's Pizza.

Hockey, basketball, football, underwater curling.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Went to an NFL game the other day and refused to eat, as I always do at the hoops games I cover.
    Will I take a cookie? Sure.
    But I'm not chowing down so somebody can say I'm up there gorging myself on free food and doing diddly. I, too, am sick of the stereotype.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Nebraska puts out a pretty good spread. Home cookin'-type stuff, which is really well-prepared, and pizza from Angelo's (?).

And I agree that this is in the Pantheon of bad story ideas.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I will eat free food anywhere. ANYWHERE. I don't care if I am working, tailgating, covering a game, or what. Free food is free food.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was there last year. Wasn't bad. Pizza, wings, good desserts.

9. Slash

Slash Member

Arkansas-Pine Bluff is right there with Youngstown State as a small school with D-1 spread. Usually fried/baked chicken or chicken strips, Mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, greens and rolls. Dessert — assorted cobblers and my fave — sweet potato pie.

I covered a game at Auburn, and they were serving leftover breakfast with some kind of turkey casserole. It wasn’t good, so I skipped right to the dessert which was a freezer full of Ice cream treats. Drumsticks, ice cream sandwiches, etc.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This.

Considering how little journalists get paid (and considering how little those who are unemployed make), I'll take free food wherever I can get it.

11. The one time I was at Reliant Stadium the Texans had a fantastic fajita bar.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seventy-one posts in and nobody's bullshit detector is going off?

Smells to me like someone looking to make an easy crack about fat sportswriters eating free food.

Draft saved Draft deleted