1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Press Box Food For College Football In the Nation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Sep 17, 2009.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I'm a fan of Interstate BBQ myself in Memphis. It is another one of those off the beaten path places, but it is good. I grew up about an hour away from Memphis, so my family would make regular trips to "big city" for shopping and what not. By far my favorite place was Interstate BBQ.

And just as a side note, stay away from Corkys. I've had several bad experiences there.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rendezvous and Interstate are outstanding. Corky's is corporate and will hurt you in three hours.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Ham?
    Lisa: No!
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal!
    Homer: Heh, heh, heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The spread at Notre Dame is awesome.

Soggy, saggy, flabby, flaccid tubes of rotting animal flesh, floating in a fetid bath of malodorous swill hot dogs

5. bwright

bwright Member

Sounds like me, growing up. You weren't by chance about an hour south, were you?
    Interstate was always Dad's favorite.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The pregame Tex-Mex in Austin is pretty good.

Of course you have sit in those old grade school chair/desk combo seats to eat it.

7. Ed Puskas

Ed Puskas New Member

YSU's spread tops most of the major university press box fare I've had. YSU also had a catered lunch for its Tuesday news conference for years, but that apparently ended this season.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This was a long time ago, but a pregame lunch they served at Michigan State when BC played there in the 90s (1995, I think, anyway Saban was coaching 'em) was an excellent meal by any standards. All the foods were provided by state agricultural associations, you know, "Michigan Pork Producers Association" "Green Bean Growers of Michigan," etc. All of it was delicious. Best ice cream I have ever tasted.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I can't believe, when the re-did the pressbox there, that the media dining area somehow got worse. Or maybe I can.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The barbecue spaghetti at Interstate is outstanding. It's a must-eat if you're in Memphis.

There are one or two franchises of Corky's in Little Rock, and it's just crap. And former NBAer Joe Kleine owns them (I don't know if he owns the Memphis Corky's or not). He's also an assistant coach at Arkansas-Little Rock, for what that's worth, which may not be much, and I'm fine with that.

11. Point of info.

Georgia Tech is now charging $5 for their pregame meal. The pizza after the game is still free, however.

Anyone know if any other college is charging for pregame meals? I know this is standard practice in most MLB, NBA and NHL stadia/arenas. The last time I was at a Falcons game at the Georgia Dome, however, that meal was free.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

None of it is as good as what the news side gets on election night.

(I kid, as a former daily news-sider.)

Draft saved Draft deleted