1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Press Box Food For College Football In the Nation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Sep 17, 2009.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

O.K. oh great scribes. I need your help. I have been to so many press boxes that I want your help please. What press box that you have been to did you enjoy the spread the most. Please tell me what the spread was and of course where it was. It also needs to be college football.

Thanks in advance, I was ASSIGNED this and I want to get some feedback from y'all as to see if I what I think fits you all.

Thanks my brothers and sisters for helping me with this STUPID assignment.

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I must admit, it's the only football press box food I've had, but I'm partial to the spread during my time at Georgia Southern. From a local BBQ joint in Statesboro, the spread was chopped pork, chicken fingers, beans, Brunswick stew and potato salad with bread. As a dessert option, they had donuts from one of the local donut shops (I was partial to the apple fritters).

Though, the one year I was in charge of taking a university van and getting the food during my year as a sports information staff assistant, I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much. Maybe I should've just taken the van and enjoyed my own feast.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Tebow, please tell me this story isn't for a daily newspaper.

No one gives a shit what the media is chowing on.

To help you out ... not saying this is great by any stretch, but Wisconsin obviously has a great selection of cheeses to go along with brats and such (at least from my recollection).

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

The spreads at Auburn were legendary once upon a time, thanks to the SID (who later became AD) who, well, let's just say he clearly loved his food and definitely knew sportswriters do, too. Don't know if that's still the case, but it was a highlight of my travelin' days way back when.

5. bob

bob Member

We have a bad enough image with the public without them having to read this crap. Might be one of the dumbest story ideas I've ever heard.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Right behind the columns where the writers complain about not getting Marriott Points. I can't even afford to stay at a god damn Marriott.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Real bad idea.
    HEY LOOK AT US WE GET TO EAT GREAT FREE FOOD!

I covered a game once and my son calls my cell in the second quarter.
    "How was the prime rib?"
    "What? I'm at a game. I had a sandwich."
    "Well, the TV guys are talking about the great prime rib they had."

Super. They get a different, nicer spread which is fine. Except now the whole world thinks we're eating it, too. Night game and a late one. I have to file an early notebook (worthless exercise), running and a write through. Nothing will be open when I leave except a 24-hour convenience store. But everything thinks I'm eating prime rib and living on easy street.

Talk someone out of this story, please.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why were you assigned this?

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Please make it stop.

10. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I have to agree with everyone that this isn't a good idea, but I also have a school to nominate. At my old shop our college beat writer loved going to the University of Memphis because the spread was usually catered by Rendezvous.

If anyone knows anything about barbeque, Rendezvous is certainly one of the best places in Memphis to eat. I'm not sure if they do it for every game, but certainly for the one time he was there every few years he said that was usually the spread, thus making the rest of the sport hate him for not bringing the rest of us a plate back.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rendezvous = overrated as a BBQ mecca, but definitely would be a "9" on the press box food meter.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

My motto has always been if its free, it's for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted