1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best President of 20th Century

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 18, 2013.

?

Who was the best/greatest president of the 20th Century and why?

1. Ronald Reagan

17 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. John Kennedy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bill Clinton

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Teddy Roosevelt

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Franklin D. Roosevelt

55 vote(s)
    52.9%
  6. Lyndon Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Harry Truman

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Richard Nixon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, based on who served 8 years and wasn't on the list, I'd go with Wilson.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Harding didn't get anywhere close to 8 years in office.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oops. Missed the 8 years line.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Liut got it.

It was Coolidge.

5. old_tony

I was thrown off by the fact that Coolidge actually only served 6 years, taking over after the sudden death of Harding. I suppose the real question is this: Did Cal change policies or continue to carry out the policy ideas of Harding?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bill Pullman?

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well, heck, I thought the eight-year designation made me wrong. And I'm confused ;D . Not unusual.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am sorry about that. I did type the 8 years.

No, Coolidge was his own man. Frugal New Englander who wanted to root out interest politics and reduce the government to get out of the way of the economy. Also hated debt. Wanted to pay down our debt, which was pretty large, after WWI. He was "Silent Cal," because he knew that when people came to ask him for something, he could avoid promising anything by just staying silent and making them uncomfortable.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I watched an interview on CSPAN 2 last week with a Coolidge biographer. It was quite interesting. It seems the image rehabilitations of both Harding and Coolidge have increased over the years. Particularly Harding. If these biographers are correct, Harding did a solid job but made some bad hires then couldn't face up to firing them.

10. old_tony

No apology necessary. And thanks for the bio info on Silent Cal. Now I want to do some reading up on him. His record sure is impressive.

11. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

That was a pull quote from Maude to Archie.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I don't think it would matter to MSNBC, WHICH believes he was crucified on a cross the first time he was down here.

Draft saved Draft deleted