1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best player piano rolls of the 1910s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, May 10, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm taking nominations. Deadline is Sunday at 8:57 a.m. GMT.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I'll go with Harry Belding's Good Gravy Rag (1913), Homer Denney's Ham Bones (1912), and Luckey Roberts' Pork and Beans (1913). But then I was always fond of the food themed rags from early in the decade.

http://www.ragsrag.com/pr/pr.html

Careful what you nominate - some of the titles are, shall we say, inappropriate.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

We have a player piano that my grandmother won in a contest in 1929. My grandparents, having just arrived in America eight years previous from Italy, purchased about 50 Italian rolls during that time period. There was one song, "Faccetta Nera," that I loved, even though I didn't know what the words were. Come to find out it means "Little Black Face," and was a song from 1933 about an Ethiopian child who came to discover the wonderful world of Fascism after Italy invaded the country. Well then.

I have been saving up for some time to buy a Duo-Art Steinway. These were sophisticated grand pianos from the 1920s that played rolls but had an electric motor, and the rolls (done by famous pianists, such as Horowitz and Rachmaninoff) had coding that copied the dynamic and tempo as they played, so it was like you were listening to the virtuoso pianists themselves on the roll. Needless to say, these aren't like the ones Buck listed above. Here's an example:

I own an Edison cylinder phonograph and one of the cylinders is titled a "coon song." I have a strong suspicion it wasn't written for raccoons, however.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That digital conversation of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag was amazing. I really did feel like I was sitting there listening to it played live.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oh come on, it's hard to beat Charles L. Johnson's Cum Bac-Rag of 1911.

or James Scott's Climax Rag of 1914.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

if there are any recordings of Kid Ory's band from that decade, that has to be a 1 seed. Ory played with King Oliver, Louis Armstrong and Lil Hardin

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This is what I love about the internet. No matter what obscure subject you come up with, someone is interested in it.

9. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Oh no you didn't! It's gonna be that whole east coast/west coast food rag/sex rag rivalry all over again. Don't be gettin up in my grill with no Charles L. Johnson!

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed. Love reading about the New Orleans jazz scene in those days.

This is a a great resource:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted