1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Pitcher of the Modern Era (1980-present)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Jan 7, 2010.

?

Since 1980, who has been the best overall starting pitcher? (listed alphabetically)

1. Roger Clemens: 24 seasons, 354-184 (.658 W%), 3.12 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 118 CG - 46 SHO, 4916.2 IP, 4672

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. Randy Johnson: 22 seasons, 303-166 (.646 W%), 3.29 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 100 CG - 37 SHO, 4135.1 IP, 4875

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Greg Maddux: 23 seasons, 355-227 (.610 W%), 3.16 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 109 CG - 35 SHO, 5008.1 IP, 3371 K

33 vote(s)
    52.4%
  4. Pedro Martinez: 18 seasons, 219-100 (.687 W%), 2.93 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 46 CG - 17 SHO, 2827.1 IP, 3154

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In 2008, with the Padres and Dodgers, his team scored two runs or less in 14 of his 33 starts. They scored three runs five other times. Maddux was 8-13 that season, his last.
    Certainly he was on the downside of his career in that span from 2004-08. But he still won at least 13 games every year until 2008, and threw at least 190 innings every year until he retired. He wasn't what he was, obviously, but he was still better than a lot of fourth and fifth starters. Not like Johnson or Pedro the last few years. I'd hardly say Maddux was "hanging around too long."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Solid No. 5 starter isn't exactly praise for someone who won four straight Cy Youngs.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Clemens was almost all against non-pitchers

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For a guy who turned 38 in 2004 and never had a big fastball, being able to hold down a spot in a rotation for five more years is noteworthy.
    If he'd wanted to, I believe Maddux could have pitched last season and been decent. Not sure you can say the same about Johnson next season. Or Martinez, for that matter, for a whole season.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is wrong.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I am a card-carrying, jersey-wearing, dyed in the wool Braves fan, but my vote went to Clemens.

It's personal opinion, but I like the mean power pitchers over the guys living on the black. Even when Maddux was winning for Atlanta, I didn't really enjoy watching him. I enjoyed the wins, however.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I don't know who was best.....but if I had to pay to see a pitcher, it would be Pedro...no question. From '97-'01 he was amazing, entertaining and unpredictable. As good as Clemens was with the Red Sox, he never matched the excitement that a Pedro start brought.

Give me any of the five on the list and I'd be happy.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Pound-for-pound I wouldn't take anyone over Pedro... ever

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"You and I are very much alike. Archaeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you. It would take only a nudge to make you like me. To push you out of the light."

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It all depends on what you value: peak performance or longevity. Pedro's seven-year span starting in 1997 was as great as any pitcher in the history of the game. He just didn't throw the volume of innings as the other legends.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Such as Koufax?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

from Raiders of the Lost Arc?

Draft saved Draft deleted