1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Pitcher of the Modern Era (1980-present)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Jan 7, 2010.

?

Since 1980, who has been the best overall starting pitcher? (listed alphabetically)

1. Roger Clemens: 24 seasons, 354-184 (.658 W%), 3.12 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 118 CG - 46 SHO, 4916.2 IP, 4672

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. Randy Johnson: 22 seasons, 303-166 (.646 W%), 3.29 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 100 CG - 37 SHO, 4135.1 IP, 4875

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Greg Maddux: 23 seasons, 355-227 (.610 W%), 3.16 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 109 CG - 35 SHO, 5008.1 IP, 3371 K

33 vote(s)
    52.4%
  4. Pedro Martinez: 18 seasons, 219-100 (.687 W%), 2.93 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 46 CG - 17 SHO, 2827.1 IP, 3154

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The answer is Clemens ... but it wouldn't be if he'd had any semblance of a normal decline.

So, Maddux gets my vote.

Oh, and Johnson > Carlton.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which won't happen because a few douchebags will misuse/abuse their votes.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True. I thought there was a chance that Ripken would get 100 percent.

It's a nice thought, but it will never happen.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I yield to no one in my admiration for Maddux. I too hope he's a unanimous first round pick.
    But Pedro in the late 1990s-early 2000s was every bit Koufax's equal. Based on the evidence of my eyes, he was one of the two best pitchers of my lifetime, and I'm 60. So he has my vote.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I am not 60, but this is not untrue.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would say Johnson = Carlton. And nodding to the Gold Gloves, I'd go with Maddux but take any of 'em.

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Quote function problems?

I absolutely hate this bullshit of a few voters making sure nobody ever gets in unanimously. I never hated it more than when they did it to Henderson because you just know those smug assholes felt extremely good about themselves for doing it to him. Never mind the fact they signed their name to a piece of paper that says, in effect, Rickey Henderson is not a Hall of Famer. I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't want my name on a statement that shows that level of cluelessnes.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought Maddux was fairly effective right until the end of his career. His record didn't reflect it since he didn't get a ton of run support his last year or two with the Padres, and he certainly wasn't going to go nine innings, but he was a solid No. 5 starter who could give you five or six good innings.
    His dropoff was nowhere near as bad as Johnson's last two or three years. Johnson hung around too long just to get to 300.
    Clemens has the steroid cloud hanging over him and Pedro was never the same after Grady Little. Pedro's peak was awesome, but the last five years he's been pretty average.
    My vote went to Maddux.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Maddux' ERA was over 4.00 every year from 2004 on. Would say his record is more a factor that than run support.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Without looking too closely, I'd say Pedro for brief peak, Maddux for extended peak, Clemens for career.

Draft saved Draft deleted