1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Pink Floyd album ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 24, 2013.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When we vote on best Pink Floyd album SIDES, I'll go with side two of Meddle. Echoes is my favorite long song by the Floyd. Side 1 has two good songs (One of These Days and Fearless), but the rest of the Meddle songs are complete filler.

Even though it's been played to death, Dark Side of the Moon is still their best album. No clunkers and it works great from start to finish.

Wish You Were Here is a close second, and I'd vote Piper at the Gates of Dawn as No. 3. It was the "crazy diamond's" moment to shine, and Syd produced a handful of outstanding songs, including a personal favorite, Lucifer Sam. And don't forget two of his best songs (Arnold Layne, See Emily Play) were released as singles and left off the album.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Listening to the Wish You Were Here 180g 2011 reissue right now.

Highly recommend it. I remember some audiophiles were disappointed, but works for me.

Might frame the poster that came with it and hang it in the basement. I've started framing old concert posters, tickets, pictures of venues, shows, etc.

Agree with Truck Turner that Wall has one cut, the rest, nah.

I like DSOTM and Animals. Have to give the rest another shot, been a while.

Lord, this sounds good.

/becoming vinyl snob..could be the IPA..who cares

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Wall may have been one of the first vinyl LPs I ever bought.

That said, I'd go with Animals, followed by Dark Side, The Wall and Wish You Were Here.

4. Machine Head

Mine was in the mid 60s.

Quality control was lacking then, as now, as forever.

I remember buying a Herman's Hermits LP (not my first LP) and there was a scratch / skip at the very first song. Returned it three times and the same deal. Still have the last one. Bad pressing.

Back to work and my IPA. Fixing decorative lights outside, may play some Blue Cheer for Fenian.

/old thread we shared

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

1. Meddle
    2. Dark Side
    3. Wish You Were Here
    4. Animals

That's the top tier.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll have to listen to Animals again, it's been awhile.

If I recall, the song "Dogs" is actually two pieces they were playing live before Wish You Were Here came out.

I've always enjoyed the up-tempo, power-chord ending of "Sheep," too.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Kubrick wanted use the Atom Heart Mother' suite in 'AClockwork Orange,' but the band turned him down.

I like all of them, even 'The Final Cut.'
    But I've never been a fan of the post-Waters material.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I really can't disagree with this. Comfortably Numb is the only song that really stood up to time on this album, although in concert they jammed off Mother, making that pretty special, too.

Waters was an entitled, overbearing whiner during the production of the album. For me, the Wall was more the about the limited tour, which was maybe the most hyped rock show to date, and the experience.

My friends and I had tickets for the first show at Nassau Coliseum (Feb. 1980) and six of us drove over from Staten Island in a shag-carpeted van.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The Wall is the gateway for teens to get into Floyd. The songs about anti-education, anti-authority, anti-everything appeal to a teen. The movie is dated now, but it was another way for teens to dig it.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can't agree with slagging of The Wall.'
    Comfortably Numb'
    'Young Lust'
    Run lLike Hell'
    'One of my Turns'

It's a great album.
    I know my affection for 'The Final Cut' puts me in a very small minority, but I don't understand why it's become hip to slag The Wall.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My fave album is Wish You Were Here, I didn't mind The Final Cut at all, "Not Now John" is one of my fave Floyd songs.

Probably haven't listened to The Wall in its entirety since high school but I still love "Run Like Hell", "Hey You" and "Young Lust". Dig the version of "Comfortably Numb" Waters did with Van Morrison.

12. Machine Head

This thread need Junkie.

Draft saved Draft deleted