1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best picture nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As someone who loved "Hurt Locker," it really wasn't that special of a film. Avatar was a truly memorable theater experience. I can see people 20 years from now saying, "Hurt Locker, was that the bomb squad war movie or the Matt Damon one?" I didn't feel like I had seen a truly great war film the way I did with "Saving Private Ryan."

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

saw "true grit" this week and gotta say, it wasn't that great. but somebody needs to tell the academy awards people that the teen girl should have gotten a best actress nomination, not a best supporting actress nod.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's usually up to the producers of the movie. They might have decided she would have a better chance as supporting actress and that's why they pushed her as such. I agree though.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

did not know that. she carried that movie. i didn't hate it, just as expecting more so i left disappointed.

5. billikens

billikens Member

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that the Academy could have nominated her for Best Actress if they'd wanted, regardless of the studio's wishes, but the studio and producers pushed hard to get her a Best Supporting Actress nod, assuming, like Mizzou said, she'd have a better chance in the supporting contest.

6. Mizzougrad96

You're right. The Academy could have done whatever it wanted. There have been a lot of cases where someone who was clearly the female lead is nominated in the supporting actress category.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Quick quiz, at which gathering would you find greater diversity, a Tea Party rally or a cocktail party attended by this year's Academy Award nominees?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/26/diversity.academy.awards/

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Winter's Bone is beautifully-shot, but the subject matter is painful, and I have no need to see it again.

9. billikens

billikens Member

Caught the King's Speech last night. Great, great movie. I still think I'd cast my best picture vote for The Fighter this year, but as far as I'm concerned, my 1-4 (Fighter, King's Speech, Social Network, Inception) could win it and I wouldn't have much of an argument. When it comes down to it, I think Social Network tops King's Speech, but either way, I'm fine.

I can't see how Colin Firth doesn't win Best Actor.

But I spent part of the time watching Geoffrey Rush's character thinking, "This is the same guy who plays Barbossa." Amazing. I still think Bale gets Supporting.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

To those with Xfinity or Comcast, or whatever it might be called in your nape of the neck ...

... I saw "Winter's Bone" a couple of months back on the On Demand feature. I think it's still on there, if you're so inclined.

11. billikens

billikens Member

Full disclosure here, after a few years as a sports writer, I now work for AMC Theatres corporate doing their social media, so this is essentially shameless self/company-promotion, but for anyone interested, AMC is hosting its Best Picture Showcase again this year. The BPS is all 10 Best Picture nominees spread over two weekends, with a few 24-hour marathon locations sprinkled throughout the country.

http://www.amctheatres.com/bps/

Even spread over two weekends, it's a lot of movies in one sitting, but for anyone looking to catch up, or freshen up, on the Best Picture nominations, this is a tremendous event.

12. Mizzougrad96

That sounds incredible. I wish they did those 10 years ago when I had the free time to go to something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted