1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best picture nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've seen all of them except for "Black Swan." It was shot with a handheld and that makes me nauseous, so unless I can get my hands on a screener, I won't be seeing it.

As for the rest, I like them all but loved none.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Except that of course you can't bet on the Oscars in Vegas. So you'll have to head to London.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Or place the bet online.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The hosts have their work cut out for them with the expected awards going to Firth, Portman, Bale and Leo. Though I wouldn't mind to see Amy Adams win.

5. Mizzougrad96

Has there ever been an upset winner in the Best Picture category?

I know Crash beating Brokeback Mountain was a surprise as was Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan, but these were just cases of the movie that people thought would finish second beating the movie that people thought would win.

Every indication is that it will be The Social Network or The King's Speech. I think anything else winning would be a colossal upset.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

"Hurt Locker" over "Avatar" comes to mind, not because of quality, but because of Hollywood's history of rewarding the effort it takes to get a blockbuster made v. how good a movie really is."

I'm an indie guy by heart, but I was disappointed in this, mostly because, for better or for worse, "Avatar" changed the game for moviemaking.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, but everybody knew (or had a pretty good idea) that Hurt Locker was going to win.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It was an outside shot in the early speculation. It wasn't until close to show time that the real forecast hit.
    Of course, SportsJournalists.com long ago declared 'The Dark Knight' the greatest achievement in the history of entertainment and art. Therefore, all this specualtion is moot. All previous and subsequent movies are but pale comparisons.

9. Mizzougrad96

True Grit is 14 to 1.

http://www.sportsinteraction.com/specials/entertainment-celebrity-betting-lines/

10. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Of the three nominees I've seen (True Grit, Kids Are Alright and Fighter) I liked True Grit the best. Heading to see Winter's Bone today and may squeak in King's Speech at the $7 matinee later this week. Just in no real rush to see Social Network.

11. Just watched the Social Network today for what I think is the third time and I'm still amazed each time at just how well the story was told. I don't know how much liberty was taken with the story, but it's pretty damn good.

I loved True Grit and thought it was better than The Fighter. I'd have a hard time believing anyone could top the performances of Bridges and Bale in those two flicks, but I have yet to see The King's Speech, The Kids are Alright and Black Swan ... But I definitely plan on seeing them before the awards.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They don't book anything that involves voting in Vegas . .. including elections, the Heisman, and on and on.

Offshore's another story.

Social Network is the pronounced favorite. King's Speech is second choice. If yuu like anything else -- and you're right -- you can get rich quick.

Draft saved Draft deleted