1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best owner ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting fundamental question in here somewhere about what professional sports are. And what kind of business it is.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would guess that between 80-90 percent of owners of NFL, NBA and MLB teams are republicans.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I cannot think of one outwardly liberal owner.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Before this thread I would have thought this was widely understood among SportsJournalists.com participants. Professional sport entities are in the entertainment business. Period.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Herb Kohl owns the Milwaukee Bucks. Ted Turner owned the Braves at the height of his Jane days.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He might not be a liberal, but didn't Rooney gat an Ambassadorship out of Obama, in return for his support?

7. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Paul Allen is a Democrat and a big Hillary Clinton guy. Not sure how liberal he is, but he definitely supports Democrats over Republicans.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He also gave McCain $25000.

Captains of industry play both sides.

www.newsmeat.com/sports_political_donations/Robert_Kraft.php

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No problem. It seemed necessary.

How are your stable of unicorns doing? Hope that rainbow isn't too bright!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Why does everybody on SJ hate Caterpillar?

I don't think he's the best, but as a Braves fan, I miss the hell out of Ted owning the team!

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The best owner is someone who paid his players one year too many rather than one year too little and someone who sacrificed profits for lower ticket prices for the fans. Um, not sure that's happened yet although the Packers, as a publicly held trust, would be close, but even they have shareholders to answer to.

Cuban spent lavishly for a long time, but now seems to be no longer interested in just spending wildly (I think that's because whereas he used to be able to outspend people without penalties, that's no longer true with the huge luxury taxes.)

Draft saved Draft deleted