1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best owner ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Jim Simantec, winner of 33 fantasy leagues in one year

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Hired the right people, provided resources for them to work.

The Jimmy thing will be a disaster.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure any owner is as universally beloved in his franchise's city as Ewing Kauffman was and still is in Kansas City. It's hard to believe the Royals were once the model for how to do it.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

George III gave the Yankees such financial dominance over the rest of baseball at the end of his run, I would think he is in the conversation.

Sure, he did some crazy shit, but for about a decade they could spend money like water. That was pretty freaking impressive.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Have to pick the right Rooney. Art Rooney, Sr. founded the franchise and he was a beloved figure by the time of his passing in the mid-80s, but he played a big part in the Steelers sucking most of its first 40 years. My understanding is that Dan Rooney started handling more of the day-to-day operations in the late '60s and that's when things began to turn around.

Mara and Veeck certainly belong in the conversation, too.

What are the criteria? Is it just winning? Willingness to spend money? Being beloved within the franchise and in the city?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree with OOP. The Steelers changed when Dan Rooney started making the calls.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Me.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gets huge demerits because he spent the first decade of his Tigers ownership following the Pirates-Royals penny-pinching plan, hired one of the most incompetent-idiot GMs ever (Randy Smith), and allowed Tiger Stadium to fall to rot to force taxpayers to pony up for a new park (continuing the efforts of the previous pizza boy owner Monaghan).

After the race-to-the-bottom strategy acheived complete oblivion in 2003 with 120 losses and attendance cratering, he decided he had to start spending money and, amazingly enough, started MAKING money.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Continually amazed at how much bottom-line business wisdom flows from Starman ... oh, that the captains of industry would follow his lead!

10. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I love that you could be at the Steelers practice complex on media day, get your lunch and sit down, then have Dan Rooney walk up with a tray, motion to the seat across from you and ask, "Is this taken?" Very down-to-earth guy.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah those 2003 Detroit Tigers were the absolute model of baseball management success. 43-119, 27th/30 in attendance in a 3-year-old $300 million park, built on the argument the team needed to "expand its revenue stream to be competitive in the talent market."

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bustin' your chops ...

Draft saved Draft deleted