1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best (or the worst) name for a kid in high school sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A South Dakota high school player's name is K.J. Bad Wound

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/sports/article_f88123ee-fa61-11de-b783-001cc4c03286.html

I understand this is likely an Indian name. But the lead and headline possibilities might be endless.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tough to beat former Garden City (Mich.) tennis player Carl Dork.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Iowa hoops prepster Fonda Dicks. Harry Colon went from Washington H.S. in Kansas City, Kansas to Missouri, then the NFL.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

haywood jablome!

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A school that played one of the schools in the coverage area at my old shop had a basketball player named Diamond Rich.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Pro hockey player Robin Big Snake

7. partain

partain Member

In the youth rodeo world, there's a family in Nebraska (I think) with the last name Boots. So they named all their kids after boot companies. Justin Boots, Tony Lama Boots, etc. Thankfully, no kid named Ariat as far as I know.

Also knew kid in youth rodeo named National Champion. Tough name to live up to when you're placing 50th of 100 kids.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I wonder which one of the kids was the former poster here ...

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i remember USA Today quoted that guy at the Masters the year NOW had the protests. remember taking the call from my buddy who was covering it. it was online for maybe 20 minutes.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect name for a kid who's involved with karate tournaments.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what do you mean, "former?"

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Two memorable ones from a former stop.

Same North Alabama 1A school - think they may have been football teammates at one point.

Mona Leisia Carter (a guy) and Tecumseh Mayes (also a guy). The second 'i' in Carter's first name is silent. Honest.

Draft saved Draft deleted