1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best one of the Month

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Got a call this morning from a lady about her brother who recorded a triple-double in a middle school game. OK, that's cool until she says, "I DEMAND this be in the paper."
    Wow.

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Tell her to wait for the paper of 2018 -- she can be part of your user-generated staff and write it herself.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Probably worthy of a mention. Can't penalize the kid because is mother is a bitch. Imagine what he must go through having to live with her ::).
    You've got to love these people who "demand" this and "order a photographer" for that. Piss. Me. Off.

4. Really? I can.

Plus, I don't consider not getting your name in the paper because you played well in a middle school basketball game being penalized. Unless, I suppose, you guys cover a lot of middle school basketball.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tell Mom to call you when the kid gets to varsity.

6. Stuff like that really gets under my skin. I really try to work with the public on every phone call, but it's hard for me not to get an attitude after something like this. I usually hang up, take a deep breath and let it sit for a while before I decide what to do.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I demand she suck on my sack.

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Just saying that if you report that shit at all, you shouldn't go out of your way not to mention the kid. I'd certainly make it clear that she doesn't get to "demand" anything.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"All right, ma'am, let me transfer you to advertising..."

10. Nice.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

We have a winner. In the same token you gotta love people who call in to yell at you about an "sports" advertisement featuring a posed shot of a team that doesn't include little Johnny in the photo.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had a voicemail when I got in today. I wrote a story about a girls basketball team winning last night because they played solid defense. One girl in particular shut down the other team's leading scorer.

The woman that left the message was really glad to see that I wrote about what great defense the Lady Knobslobbers played the night before, but couldn't understand why I didn't mention the name of the only girl that really played good defense, Erica Johnson-Shiner. No problem though, she said she knows I'll be writing a LOT about her in the future.

Of course, Erica is one of the worst defensive players in the district and the Knobslobbers won despite her. I suppose since she didn't score mom must of figured she played great D.

Draft saved Draft deleted