1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best on air mistake ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 1, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Getting back to the original piece, whoever allowed that to get through needs to hang their head in shame.

2. kcsportscaster

kcsportscaster New Member

That really happened during a game in 1990, coming back from a between half inning break. I couldn't stop laughing the entire night.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I remember it as right at the start of the telecast, with the wide shot of the stadium and the Gateway Arch peeking over it in the background.
    Harry: "Welcome to Busch Memorial Hospital ... " And he just went on like nothing ever happened.
    One of his best howlers.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Who was the baseball announcer who, when told James Earl Ray had died, ad libbed a tribute to James Earl Jones?

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There was a blowout at Wrigley one day and the camera showed a couple kissing after every pitch. Harry said: "He kisses her on the strikes, and she kisses him on the balls."

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Radio broadcasting started in 1920. That story started making the rounds in 1921.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

My favourite:

8. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

This made me think of one of my favorite dumbass-in-the-editing-booth moments. I think it was in 2005, when Pinehurst hosted the U.S. Open for the first time since Payne Stewart died. CBS (I think) did a lengthy feature on Stewart -- and the music used throughout was the theme from HBO's Six Feet Under.

9. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

I like this ESPN moment myself

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

A long time ago, Frank Gifford was reading a promo for a basketball game on ABC and he pronounced Shaq's name:

"sha-QUILL-ee"

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't remember that, but Jones was once given a plaque inscribed to "James Earl Ray" by a community organization in South Florida:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_7_101/ai_83040499/

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted