1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Offseason MLB Free Agent Signing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 1, 2008.

?

Who was the best offseason MLB signing?

1. Kosuke Fukudome Cubs

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Aaron Rowand Giants

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Troy Percival Rays

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Aaron Boone Nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Milton Bradley Rangers

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. Mark Hendrickson Marlins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Eric Hinske Rays

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Livan Hernandez Twins

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Bartolo Colon Red Sox

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Who was the best offseason free agent signing? Why?

If you pick other - please explain.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My pick is Percival for what he brought to that clubhouse. People like himself and Cliff Floyd are holding players accountable for their actions, and the clubhouse itself is more mature. The team carries itself better than it used to do.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Percival's been great for the Rays, but I'm not crazy about the two-year deal, especially since he's already hurt.

Assuming he doesn't get hurt or otherwise explode, Bradley at $5 mil for one year looks like the bargain of all bargains. He was at .320/.427/.549 through Saturday.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think you need to have 2 categories - cheap 1 year no-risk fliers, some of which are bound to hit, and high profile FAs at big money, soome of who are bound to fail. You'
    r comparing apples & bananas.

5. Guy - I don't necessarily disagree with you but that would entail two separate polls and then someone would say that comparing pitchers to everyday players is also apples to bananas. Then you wind up with 4 polls. This was just the simplest way.

6. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'd basically just be repeating what steve and Steak said. Percival is the best '08 investment out of this group.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Milton Bradley and Aaron Rowand have had the best starts of the guys mentioned. Percival's been really good as well, and brings some intangibles to that young Rays team.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I can say who it wasn't. Amdruw Jones, good lord he has been awful, talk about a fall from grace

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If only there were a thread on that topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted