1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of the Masters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It would have been interesting to see if the morality tales would have been as prevalent if Westwood had won. By all accounts, he has a very happy marriage. His wife hasn't been sick, of course, but he'd still be quite the contrast with Tiger. But I doubt the stories would have played up the difference as much.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yeah... But Westwood isn't nearly as interesting as Phil-- neither in personality nor game.

I want somebody to write the book "Tiger/Phil" ... Untold stories of the rivalry.

How about you, 21? :)

3. Lugnuts

I can't find anything good from the writers. The best thing I found was a Joe Pos column written Saturday night.

So much of today's stuff is just rehash from what everybody saw and quotes everybody heard.

Maybe later this week?? So bummed.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Wetzel's column is good, though certainly has some of the same stuff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=dw-philmasters041110

5. Lugnuts

That was really good. He had quotes and info I hadn't seen.

He reports Amy's been through surgeries-- plural.

God bless her.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had heard about the doctor caddying three holes for Phil at Houston. Would love to find more details on that.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Anything so wrong with just telling the story about Mickelslon winning the golf tournament, or Woods not winning it, without turning it into a morality play? Save the good guy vs. bad guy stuff for WWE.

8. Lugnuts

No, there's nothing wrong with that, but I'd love some information (actual reporting) and/or analysis that I couldn't get from watching the broadcast and Phil's post-tournament interviews.

A lot of the articles I have seen use quotes from interviews conducted on TV. I saw that.

Wetzel's column was the exception. It has actual reporting in it. One gets the sense he stuck around after everybody cleared out and got some time with Bones.

Pos's column from Saturday analyzes the 'Phil is phony' phenomenon and made me think.

In this day and age, for a news org to send a reporter to Augusta for a week, and for that reporter to use mainly quotes ripped from CBS... what a waste.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You have way too much energy today. 8)

That story is still a good 10-15 years away from being complete. Write it today, it's outdated in a month.

But I think you overestimate the 'rivalry'....I don't think Tiger cares who else is out there. It's not Magic/Bird.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very true. Tiger doesn't respect anyone else and that carries into his private life.

I've heard people say Jordan was the same way.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's funny, I had a line in there about Jordan and took it out because I was looking for a third example of the same kind of guy and couldn't think of one. Exactly the same. It was him and bunch of other guys, didn't matter who.

12. Lugnuts

I actually feel like crap, which is why I've been sitting on my ass all day posting here! ;D

You're right - the story isn't over. And it will never be Magic/Bird or Martina/Chris because the two of them don't regularly square off against one another.

Still, one gets the sense there's material to be mined.

Haven't we had some snarky comments by Tiger in the past?

I have personally asked Phil about Tiger once in one of the few opportunities I've had to ask Mickelson a question. It wasn't a general question, though, it was specific to a matter at hand. He handled it very 'Phil'-- classy, restrained and with that smile. I wanna dig up that tape.

Draft saved Draft deleted