1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of the Masters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Can anybody recommend good Masters post stories? Got links?

The running thread over on Sports and News just isn't getting it done for me.

Particularly interested in Phil/Amy backstory and material relating to Tiger's petulance. :)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Circus Is Over. Or is it?
    Now that Tiger has emerged from his hole and played, does he become just another golfer again? Or does this hover over him for a lot longer?

Just a thought.

The shame of Tiger's misdeeds to me is this: You have to be VERY careful doing the "anti-Tiger Phil Mickelson" stories. While he appears to be a decent fellow and all that, suppose he isn't? Hell, maybe THAT is a story.

3. Lugnuts

You and I are sharing a brain - those are the EXACT two things I thought, Moddy.

I said to Mr. Lugs last night, "What if Tiger just became a good golfer now? Won one more major, maybe two? Contended regularly, but didn't win like he used to?"

The other thing I said was: Be careful making this a story about Good vs. Evil. Something about the look on Phil's face tells you ... this story isn't so simple.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't believe Phil is demon-free, but his pale, compared to Eldrick's.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And yet, it didn't stop anyone. "Phil won for his cancer-stricken wife! Tiger's wife didn't even show up!"

It wasn't even subtle in most of the stories I read. There were actual comparisons in single paragraphs.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I truly, truly hope Mickelson doesn't have any Tiger-like scandals in his past. I kind of felt like yesterday was good triumphing over evil, but all it takes is rumors of him cheating on his wife and she's battling cancer and he becomes a douchebag at the level of Tiger or John Edwards.

7. Lugnuts

The big comparison to me had less to do with the wives and more to do with parenting.

It comes out that Phil spends the night before his final round up 'til 1 a.m. with his daughter who fractured her arm roller skating.

Normally in that situation, I'm sure Amy would take care of it... but Nantz mentioned she was so sick, she had to stay in bed all week.

I thought: It doesn't matter how rich or famous you are, or how much help you have. If you are a parent, and you take that job seriously, not even the final round of the Masters can get in the way of your most important commitment.

That, to me, is the bigger contrast here between Phil and Tiger at this particular point-- bigger than their wives and their wives' actions.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is not good over evil.

This is the triumph of one lazy cliche over another lazy cliche.

9. Lugnuts

Then post some good links, Azrael! Surely somebody out there has written about the real story!

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just follow Whitlock's twitter feed. He's in everybody's business this morning.

11. Lugnuts

I'd rather eat my own puke for breakfast, thanks.

OK - I'll post a good link. Here's Tom Rinaldi's sit down with Phil. I thought Rinaldi did a nice job asking open-ended SINGLE questions.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5077262&categoryid=2630020

Still, I wished for some sort of diplomatically phrased something about Tiger.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

How about some stories about the unsung nannies?

-husband of a semi-retired nanny.

There's definitely no shortage of morality play columns, completely heavy-handed.

Deadspin has quite a few links.

http://deadspin.com/5515055/family-values-win-the-weekend

Draft saved Draft deleted