1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of Kansas City?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 9, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Sundberg deserved that ring after being a Gold Glover for some shitty (and a couple of good) Rangers teams for years. He would have been one of the stars of 70s baseball had he played in a major market and/or for a winning team.
    [​IMG]
    At least he was appreciated in DFW, where he was revered..easily the fans' favorite Ranger from the team's first decade in Arlington. He was Roger Staubach in spikes, in that regard.
    Sunny made a memorable debut as an all-field, no-hit catcher on the famous/infamous "Turnaround Gang" of 74. After flailing to a 100-loss season in 73 (that got Herzog fired, unfairly, methinks) the Rangers came out of nowhere and damn near won the division...finished 5 games behind the eventual World Series champion A's. Billy Martin and Texas were a great match. The mild-mannered Sundberg was a contrast to some of the more extreme personalities on that club.

2. sometimes i'm embarrassed listening to people talk about bbq...any bbq that needs sauce ain't worth eating. it amazes me people who base their opinions on bbq based on the sauce.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

I agree Jason although I do like my gates sauce. I got a pound of BBQ beef from Gates sitting in my dorm fridge right now.

Gates sauce is for saving the meat that got a little overdone by mom.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The Arthur Bryants/Negro Leagues Museum combination is hard to top.

If you're coming for a weekend, though, do it in the summer and go to a Royals game. Beautiful stadium.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Kauffman Stadium is, I think, entering its 35th season of baseball. And though folks in St. Louis will hate this, the K is STILL more breathtaking than it's cross-state counterpart. With more than 90 percent of the seats between the foul poles, it's still a fantastic place to watch baseball. The fountains and the crown scoreboard have aged gracefully over the years.

All that new Busch Stadium will have in 35 years is that same strained view of the arch. Yee-hah.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Got back from Kansas City tonight -- jesus christ was it cold. Sadly, I did not get an opportunity to sample the barbecue because the assholes at KC International Airport made us sit and wait on the tarmac for an hour after we arrived yesterday and we were 50 feet from the goddamned gate.

Really like what the city is doing with the downtown revival and the Sprint Center looks pretty impressive. When I toured the Kansas City Star, I was surprised not to see a Whitlock shrine.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The shrine, apparently, is at Gates.

8. oldhack

oldhack Member

Is it just as good?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wait, you're from Canada, I thought you would be used to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted