1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of Kansas City?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 9, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I went in June and had the opportunity to meet Buck. One of my '06 highlights. The museum is small in size but huge in terms of impact. Don't miss it.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Go to both Gates and Bryant's and decide for yourself. I'll take Gates. Better sauce. It's not quite the same in the bottle, but the best pulled pork I've ever made was off a bottle of Gates I got in KC, orange juice, whiskey and bay leaves.

The better Stroud's under the Interstate closed, but the other one is still open. Good fried chicken. Better cinnamon rolls. Definitely part of old KC, in its own way.

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

Here are three BBQ spots that kill Gates (which is great) and Bryants (which is too filthy)

- Smokin' Guns - North Kansas City - run by the 1999 Jack Daniel's Barbecue champions. Call before you go because they're only open when they want to be. It's that good.

- Oklahoma Joe's - Mission, KS - It's located in the back of a gas station. And it fucking rules.

- LC's - Kansas City - Out by the stadium, this place is closed on Sundays. Because if they're in church, you should be too.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There are, indeed, better places than Arthur Bryant's. But it's a sin to go to K.C. and not eat there.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Arthur Bryants..........mmmmmmmmmmmmm

6. Sly

Sly Active Member

Not if you're a Gates guy.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's an outlet mall in Overland (I think) that has a Brooks Brothers outlet. You can get some outrageous deals there. I'm talking BB suits for $200.

Westport is good, if you're young enough to not mind the fratboy scene that happens each weekend.

And if you want really good BBQ, head to Memphis. <ducking>

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Where the hell is Arthur Bryant's? I've been to K.C. four times in the last two years and I can never find it. I'm going to be in K.C. in February and I'd like to go, I loves me some BBQ.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn, i just had lunch and now i'm getting hungry again. maybe someone should start a 'best bbq restaurants' thread?

bryant's is indeed filthy, but i thought the flies and the grimy looking staff were all part of the experience.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Strauds is awesome. And personally, I thought the one under the bridge was the weaker of the two. Oh, and there's some decent Mexican food available around downtown.
    Enjoy!

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Negro Leagues Museum is awesome. I personally prefer Crown Center to the Plaza, but that might because Crown Center is more geared to families.

I also suggest Arthur Bryant's or Gates BBQ, but there are so many tiny, out of the way BBQ joints that I love too. Bob-B-Que in Mission, KS, for instance. Gawd, I love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted