1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of Kansas City?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 9, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm making a trek east for a weekend in Kansas City with my gal. I'm not familiar with the town. Outside of a trip to the Negro Leagues Museum, no aspect of my itinerary is set in stone. Any suggestions from you wise SportsJournalists.commers who know old KC well?

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

two words: arthur bryant's.

damn, i'm jealous. i wish i could make another pilgramage to arthur bryant's.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Be sure to wave to Whitlock as he works his corner.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Whitlock Museum. All his old articles are etched onto gold plaques and hung on the wall. All his television appearances are looped over and over again on HD TVs.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I understand there is a new exhibit: a bronze casting of his pimp hand

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I should, but I don't. The moment you hit the Negro Leagues Museum, you will have been there one more time than I have. I've always meant to go, but never did. I have to go some time. Unfortunately, Buck won't be there to tell his stories when I do make that trip.

I found this link, though. Hope it helps.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/06/08/kansas.city/index.html

Oh, and leo is right. Arthur Bryant's is a must.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D That was funny, spnited.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Whitlock himself might come on here and tell you to go to Gates... and while Gates is good, if you go to only one place go to Bryant's. And make sure it's the one on Brooklyn, the original... not the one at Ameristar (if it's still there...)

The Negro Leagues Museum is fantastic.

If history is your thing, check out the Truman Library and Museum in Independence.

Want to part with your hard-earned cash quickly? Go to the Plaza... and if you go at night, the lights might still be on.. but I'm not sure when they take them down.

Westport has the bar scene and nightlife. I'm sure I'm missing a ton.. I haven't lived there since I graduated, and I'm sure I'm missing a lot. But that's enough to get you started.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was only in KC for about 24 hours so could only make it to bryant's. i'd definitely love to try gates next time i'm there, if i ever get there again, which actually seems kind of unlikely.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The LoJomotive is going to get 300 yards against the Colts. Someday. Be sure you're there for that game. I hear the Chefs are going to line up with 7 OL, a TE, and three backs.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I want to say they should still be on, because they stop each year around the 15th.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Chappell's restaurant and sports museum is really cool if you're looking to eat a good meal and if you like sports memorabilia.

Draft saved Draft deleted