1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of 2006-07 SNL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Aug 25, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hilarious....
    Jake Gyllenhaal singing dream girls, Peyton Manning in the bkb locker room and now Dick in a box....

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That should be a short episode.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I missed the Gyhllenhal (sp?) opening the first time. Well done.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

"Baby look inside..."

(uncensored version - NSFW)

5. Flash

Flash Guest

SNL is still on?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Dick in a Box was not funny because it involved Justin Timberlake.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I saw the ad, I assumed it would be Dick in a Box and Peyton Manning yelling at a bunch of kids... A 10-minute episode...

My god is that show an embarrassment.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bullshit. One of the funniest bits EVER done on SNL, even in the glory days.

If somebody wants to laugh at Will Forte getting his own movie, OK. I can laugh at that, too.

But not everything they do these days is crap. There's just more bad sketches than there used to be.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Exactly right there, shottie. Still some really good stuff, but not as often. And what some people think were great days never really impressed me. I always thought Will Ferrell was too much over-the-top. They resurrected those lame cheerleaders about 40 times.

For me, the glory days were the late 80s with Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Dennis Miller on Update, Jon Lovitz, Kevin Neelan, Nora Dunn. They kind of brought in Sandler and Schneider and Farley as featured players then, extending the run a bit at folks like Miller and Lovitz left.

There are still some damn good bits on SNL now, but some folks think it's the height of wit to act like the show is so far beneath them. Fine, then don't watch it. But then they'll miss the next cycle when it's great. Then, of course, they'll act like they've been on board all along.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In a nutshell.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Spot on. This show works in cycles; always has.

I'm also in the camp that believes that the late '80s-early '90s are SNL's standard-setting years. Never has the show been as week-to-week consistently funny, and never have so many members of a cast gone on to bigger and better things. Phil Hartman is one of my top three cast members ever. Incredible range.

(And yes, I was very young from 1975-80, but I remember those shows and saw the best-of reruns, so I stand by my assessment.)

Draft saved Draft deleted