1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best non urban areas in Pennsylvania to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 25, 2013.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Really high on our list of places we'd like to see. Just not sure a couple of days is long enough for that distance ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd probably second that, although the only time I had to do it was in nonstop black ice after a Penn State basketball game because we couldn't make it over the snowy mountain back to Harrisburg.

Traveled 45 miles. In three hours. Eight jack-knived trucks in the median.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have wanted a Martin for almost 30 years. I still don't own one.
    I did tour the Taylor plant outside San Diego last year. I'm not really a Taylor fan, but it was a great tour.

I don't know when/if I'll ever get a Martin. I'm close to the point where if I buy anymore guitars I'm likely to get kicked out of the house.
    Last month I bought a 1958 Kay archtop. It was such a good price I couldn't afford not to buy it.

4. Salt Springs State Park north of Scranton has one of the last patches of old-growth forest left in the state. Short hike to three sets of rapids.

Also, try to get to Knoebels. Great food, not too expensive if you want to ride a few rides, and in a quiet area.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Having lived in DuBois for a year, I can heartily recommend staying the hell away.

6. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

I've stayed at the Inn at Jim Thorpe.

Loved the town.

If I ever go into the witness relocation program, that's where I'll head to.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sparky Lyle is from DuBois.

Did you hear that every day?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I was 5 and freshly arrived from East Tennessee. Mostly I heard that I sure talked funny.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Having been to east Tennessee, I can heartily recommend staying the hell away.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Glad someone's making a pitch for the southwestern corner of Pa. Near Falling Waters is a small town called Confluence, right on the Youghiogheny River. Good rafting, fishing, etc. Nearby is the Nemacolin Woodlands resort, great golf. Lot of other good public golf courses (a total gem is Chippewa, right off I79 in Bentleyville.
    There are also nice parks with covered bridges. Anyone into antiquing should try going to Monessen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The Martin is a beautiful guitar. Makes me sound like I can actually play. I bought it from a musician friend in Texas who was going to sell it at a yard sale. I said, "Oh no you're not." It needs a full workup, but even in the less-than-wonderful shape it's in, it's a great instrument.

One more non-urban Pennsylvania thing: The Yardley Inn, in what I guess is technically suburban Trenton: http://www.yardleyinn.com. Great setting right along the Delaware.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Before or after Blue Ball?????

Seriously, Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water house is a neat place to visit in the Connellsville-Uniontown area.

Draft saved Draft deleted