1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best non urban areas in Pennsylvania to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 25, 2013.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't usually like these kinds of open ended questions but I'm being a little lazy.

HC & I have a Canada Day weekend this summer and we'd like to do a two or three day US road trip into Pennsylvania.

Not interested in Pittsburgh or Philly right now and our leanings are more towards small towns and rural areas.

Amish counties would be a draw for example.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Gettysburg. That's really a must visit even if you aren't much of a Civil War buff, but if you are Antietam is in Maryland, but only about an hour or so.

Lancaster area has Amish country, a pretty decent downtown, some good places to eat and a pretty nice ballpark with an independent league team.

I haven't been there, but I kinda want to check out Johnstown just because Slap Shot and All the Right Moves were shot there.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Johnstown idea.

We'll try and capture the spirit of the thing :)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shottie, I believe your beacon has just been lighted.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Altoona is near Johnstown too. I haven't been there either, but friends who were born and raised say the minor league park there is fun too.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hershey and the chocolate factory is a neat place. You can take the factory tour for free and there's other things to do there as well.

http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/

Hershey is also home to a great amusement park -- the oh-so-cleverly named Hershey Park, which has 11 roller coasters -- if you're into that sort of thing.
    That area of Pennsylvania is also well-situated as a jumping off point to other places. It's about halfway between Amish country and Gettysburg, so you might be able to do it one day each in all three places.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you want a good baseball fix, Reading is the way to go. Fabulous ballpark that smells of funnel cakes and Yuengling,

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2010/06/minor_league_ballparks_reading.html

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Lord knows why, but I watch this show:

Hollywood's favorite character actor, Bronson Pinchot (Perfect Strangers, Beverly Hills Cop), has a secret life. He's been quietly buying neglected old homes and buildings and restoring them into eye-catching masterpieces. Each episode of The Bronson Pinchot Project finds Bronson and his crew of local contractors renovating another room at one of his properties in Harford, Pa. Bronson Pinchot is a hands-on renovator with the skills of a contractor and the eye of a top designer. Rural Harford becomes the backdrop for a unique mix of reality TV and home improvement.

http://www.diynetwork.com/the-bronson-pinchot-project/show/index.html

That's all I got.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lititz/Pennsylvania Dutch Country.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

New Hope is a nice little town along the Delaware River. Good restaurants, nice little shops - lots of antiques. It's about 2 hours northeast of Lancaster (the heart of Amish Country)

A little farther south along the Delaware is Washington Crossing, PA. Nothing to do there except see the spot where Washington led the colonial troops across the Delaware to NJ before the march down to Trenton.

I'm sure others here can recommend towns in the Poconos to visit.

If you're into touristy stuff there's Crystal Cave in Kutztown, Pa.

Then there's all the stuff others have mentioned already.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any Amish-themed titty bars?

I am serious. Will be in Lancaster in late July.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ask around at the buttermilk keggers.

Draft saved Draft deleted