1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best non-main character on Seinfeld

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TyWebb, Dec 30, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the ninth season of Seinfeld, including the final episode that featured like every character ever, and it got me thinking.

Who is the best Seinfeld character not in the main four?

Regardless of how many episodes he/she appeared on, how many lines they had, which character that wasn't Jerry, George, Elaine or Kramer, was your favorite?

When talking about this with friends and workmates, arguments were made for Newman, Putty and the Soup Nazi. For me, however, the best was Frank Costanza. He always had a great line in each of his appearances.

"YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??? YOU GOT IT!!!!"

Who is your favorite non-main character? For fun, add your favorite line from the character.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Lomez. Had no lines, but he traded some steaks for Jerry's stereo.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Whoever it was that finally got that shit off the air. He/She is my MVP.

:D

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Jerry got the show off the air.

And Bookman was my favorite, followed by Puddy and Peterman.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Larry David as George Steinbrener.
    Puddy would also be an excellent choice. Edit: Someone beat me to Puddy.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Frank Costanza was my favorite, easily. I loved Puddy's short delivery.

But Bookman had the best cameo ever.

JERRY: Oh, I'm glad you're here, so we can get this all straightened out. Would you like a cup of tea?
    BOOKMAN: You got any coffee?
    JERRY: Coffee?
    BOOKMAN: Yeah. Coffee.
    JERRY: No, I don't drink coffee.
    BOOKMAN: Yeah, you don't drink coffee? How about instant coffee?
    JERRY: No, I don't have--
    BOOKMAN: You don't have any instant coffee?
    JERRY: Well, I don't normally--
    BOOKMAN: Who doesn't have instant coffee?
    JERRY: I don't.
    BOOKMAN: You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried Crystals.
    JERRY: Really? I'll have to remember that.
    BOOKMAN: You took this book out in 1971.
    JERRY: Yes, and I returned it in 1971.
    BOOKMAN: Yeah, '71. That was my first year on the job. Bad year for libraries. Bad year for America. Hippies burning library cards, Abby Hoffman telling everybody to steal books. I don't judge a man by the length of his hair or the kind of music he listens to. Rock was never my bag. But you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.
    JERRY: Look, Mr. Bookman. I--I returned that book. I remember it very specifically.
    BOOKMAN: You're a comedian, you make people laugh.
    JERRY: I try.
    BOOKMAN: You think this is all a big joke, don't you?
    JERRY: No, I don't.
    BOOKMAN: I saw you on T.V. once; I remembered your name--from my list. I looked it up. Sure enough, it checked out. You think because you're a celebrity that somehow the law doesn't apply to you, that you're above the law?
    JERRY: Certainly not.
    BOOKMAN: Well, let me tell you something, funny boy. Y'know that little stamp, the one that says "New York Public Library"? Well that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole hell of a lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before: Flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. What's this guy making such a big stink about old library books? Well, let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world, but what about that kid, sitting down, opening a book, right now, in a branch at the local library and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees on the Cat in the Hat and the Five Chinese Brothers? Doesn't HE deserve better? Look. If you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped! Or: maybe that turns you on, Seinfeld; maybe that's how y'get your kicks. You and your good-time buddies. Well I got a flash for ya, joy-boy: Party time is over. Y'got seven days, Seinfeld. That is one week!

8. John

John Well-Known Member

It was the "good-time buddies" line that always got me.

9. Some good answers so far. I'd say Soup Nazi, but I would have liked to have seen him more.
    Because of that, I'll go with Puddy.
    "Why did you paint your face?" "Gotta support the team."
    He made every line funny with his delivery. I was listening to commentary on one of his episodes the other day, and Jerry (or maybe it was Larry David) was saying that character was supposed to be more of a straight man for Elaine to play off of, but he stole the show.
    That is why they kept bringing him back.
    The dentist was pretty good too.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So, so, so many

Hello NEWMAN.

Mortie Seinfeld was good, as was Mickey the midget friend of Kramer's.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

mickey was a great character.

not my favorite, but i liked bapu. i also liked russell, the nbc boss who loved elaine. keith hernandez was awesome.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Tim Watley, the re-gifter.

Draft saved Draft deleted