1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best non-deal debate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Duespayer, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Duespayer

Duespayer New Member

HOMEOFFICE -- Listening to the Tigers on XM Monday.

Started thinking about the deal Gonzalez turned his back on about 5 years ago.

Where would the Tigers be if he snared the seven-year, $148 million contract?

Anyone else remember a deal their favorite team didn't make that turned out to be a bounty?

I think the Tigers were involved in the best ever deal not made.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

When the NBA reversed the Juwan Howard signing with the Heat. $105 million for 7 years.

3. Two years ago a Ted Lilly for Ryan Howard deal was all set but supposedly at the last minute Toronto changed its mind. Worked out well for the Phillies.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Of recent vintage, but last year Terry Ryan refused to pull the trigger on an Alphonso Soriano deal.

All Texas wanted was Morneau and Liriano, IIRC.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

In 2003, Pittsburgh traded Mike Gonzalez and Scott Sauerbeck to Boston for Brandon Lyon and a prospect. Lyon, though, failed a physical and the trade was amended to involve Jeff Suppan and Sauerbeck for Freddy Sanchez.

Sanchez will likely win the NL batting title. And the BoSox surely could have used Gonzalez -- or any pitching, for that matter -- this summer.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The O's had supposedly signed Jeromy Burnitz to play RF this year. Seeing Nick Markakis this year I'm sure they're glad that didn't happen. The Blue Jays also offered Shawn Green for Jeffrey Hammonds once.

And once upon a time when I was a little kid, I remember reading this book on crazy baseball stories. One such story had the then owner of the Orioles and the owner of the KC A's, sometime in the early to mid 60's I believe, agreeing to a deal that would have basically traded the entire roster of each team for each other. I've only seen that story once, and it's probably been decades, and the ending had both owners sobering up and changing their minds. Not sure if it really happened or not, but I thought it was pretty funny as a kid if it was true.

7. Trey Beamon

Thanks for ruining my Labor Day, FH.

8. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

Didn't the Phillies try to trade Ryan Howard to almost every team in the league the last few years?

9. Trey Beamon

Seemed so at the time, considering Thome's contract situation.

Reportedly, the Pirates turned down a Howard for Kris Benson deal before the '03 deadline.

Ty Wigginton was a much better choice, IMO. ::)

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Great, great thread.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Space Monkey:

It seems as if the Phils realized they needed to break the logjam they had with Thome and Howard as first basemen and nothing else. Bill Conlin constantly referred to Howard as "The Prisoner of Thome". Conlin's columns never got to the level of specific trade proposals - he is NOT a rumor monger - but he made it clear that the Phillies were shopping Howard around because they thought Thome's contract would be something that would bring them less in trade.

Too bad the Phils could not teach Howard to play left field. That way they could have kept Howard AND Thome and might have been able to trade Pat Burrell for a large sack of peanuts. That would have been a good outcome...

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is too easy. Marrige. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted