1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best NFL uniform that was abandoned.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 1, 2006.

?

If you could pick one uniform for the NFL to immediately re-activate, which would it be?

1. San Diego Chargers' poweder blues and white helmet

41 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. New England Patriots red, white and clue, with white hiking minuteman helmet

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Vermeil-era Eagles, kelly green with cream-colored band around upper arm along with white and silver

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Montana-era 49ers. Simple, dominant scarlet, gold and white with no trim at all on the uniform, exce

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Buccaneer Bruce and Agent Orange (hey I know this ain't getting the votes... but I LOVED this unifor

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the original post, Irsay was the slimiest of slime balls. The Colts were a joke under his management. And I have no doubt he turned people away.

And as far as the Mayflower thing, that has far more to do with Irsay being a cocksucker than any fear of repercussions from Baltimore folks. Why would he give a shit then, when he hadn't given a shit about Baltimore's fans to that point?

But you know what? The Packers of my youth had utterly imbecilic management in the same period of the Colts' last days in Baltimore. They sold out every game at Lambeau over that period.

And the paralells between the Colts and Packers have extra meaning, because their glory days overlap, and unlike the Packers who sucked every year in the 70s save '72 and '78, the Colts were one of the best teams in the NFL in the Bert Jones-Roger Carr renaissance from 1975-77.

So where was the loyalty? Because that's what all Baltimore Colts fans talk about is the betrayal of their loyalty. What loyalty? Show up.

And let's not forget, the Baltimore Orioles were drawing terrible crowds for ALCS and even World Series games in the early 70s too. In the 30,000 range, if memory serves. It wasn't until '79 -- not coincidentally, around the time the Colts popularity dropped off -- that the O's really took hold.

What was the excuse there?

I don't mean to bag on Baltimore, but there's some myths out there that I've been begging to shoot down.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

You used "Baltimore" (a/k/a one of America's murder capitals) and "shoot down" in the same sentence. Nice.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I loved those jerseys. I though the numbers were tremendous. Then they switched to those gawd-awful thin, slanted numbers.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Everything but the gold pants . . . those just scream 1970s.

They looked better after switching to white pants and a darker blue:

[​IMG]

5. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

The Cowboys, if you look at the pics from pre 1963, never ever got the true throwback uniforms right.

Those things looked, well, 1960ish.

Think of this: Which unis haven't changed in the modern era?

Packers...Colts...Chiefs.. Bearsfor the most part.

Am I missing someone?

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

In Super Bowl Era?

Raiders... Vikings... Cowboys

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not anymore. The Vikes unveiled new ones a while ago...

http://www.kare11.com/assetpool/images/06427191740_new-vikes-uniforms-155.jpg

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I sit corrected.

Putzes.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Just opened this thread. But you all really should have listened. The Chargers. Easily.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I liked this thread when it was ripping on the Rams uniforms.

Those looked like someone took blue kids' pajamas and put a urine swirly on them.

11. Doom and gloom

Actually I was going back to the creation of the AFL and in essence, the TV era. Cowboys have changed. Vikes, I thought, used to have a variation of the helmet design. Raiders I forgot. But then Al Davis is forgettable.

12. Doom and gloom

Wait...at one time, the Raiders went with silver numbers with black trim on white.

Draft saved Draft deleted