1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best NFL uniform that was abandoned.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 1, 2006.

?

If you could pick one uniform for the NFL to immediately re-activate, which would it be?

1. San Diego Chargers' poweder blues and white helmet

41 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. New England Patriots red, white and clue, with white hiking minuteman helmet

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Vermeil-era Eagles, kelly green with cream-colored band around upper arm along with white and silver

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Montana-era 49ers. Simple, dominant scarlet, gold and white with no trim at all on the uniform, exce

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Buccaneer Bruce and Agent Orange (hey I know this ain't getting the votes... but I LOVED this unifor

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

For those on here giving the Browns the nod for sticking with an old-school look, you'll be happy to know they're going even more old school this year. The white jerseys look pretty much the same, but the brown ones are a darker shade of brown and the stripes on the sleeves look like their '60s style with no brown pinstripes between the orange and white. Gray facemasks too. Not sure if they're switching to the black shoes, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's the brown jerseys they've worn the last few years:
    [​IMG]

And this is what they'll have in '06:
    [​IMG]

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I agree that the Seahawks may have some of the worst in the league.
    The all-blue just doesn't work. If they'd go with the white pants it would help tremendously. Going back to gray helmets might help too (although the fans selected the blue helmets in a poll when the new uniforms were designed, so they're not likely to change).

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Irsay was a shithead as an owner, but you know what Baltimore's supposedly rabid Colts fans never bring up?

The Colts were drawing in the 20,000-range from the late 70s on. Yes, those were some shitty teams that fielded perhaps the worst defenses of all-time, but c'mon, 20,000?

The Colts are eight years short of having been in Indy as long as they were in Baltimore. Time to let it go.

Bubbler: revisionist history debunker.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have been told by sources I trust that the Pats' tentative game plan was to go back to the old unis and unveil a big chalk drawing of Pat Patriot at the 50-yard line for the opening of Gillette Stadium in 2002. Then came the tuck rule, and Tom Brady, and Super Bowl XXXVI. We'll never be rid of the current unis, more's the pity.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It is way too much blue, but I really like that shade of blue on the helmets.

6. But success came at a cost for Pat Patriot...
    (From: The E! True Hollywood Story: Pat Patriot.)

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hold on, Bubbler... any drop in attendance in Baltimore was the result or Irsay pretty much dumping on Baltimore and his arrogance. Let's keep that in context - you can't just look at a number and not consider the circumstance.

It's like a new owner takes over a very popular restaurant, makes the food worse, and treats customers with disdain and insults. Of course attendance would have gone down. If Irsay had sold the Colts instead of moving them in the middle of the night, no doubt attendance would have increased right away.

If Baltimore didn't care, why did Irsay move them in the middle of the night? That was the slimeist franchise move ever. The blame for that situation belongs 100 per cent on Irsay and zero percent on Baltimore Colt fans.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Wow. Simply beautiful. *sniff*

Citizen... you beat me to it. Yup, Brownies are gettin' a little more old school this year and I'm a fan of the change... not to mention our logoless helmets with the gray fasemasks will remain simple yet sharp.

Now... that jersey you posted, #80, who is that? I remember we used to have a TE who wore that, but he disappeared the last two years. ::)

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good point.

Yes, the move sucked. Yes, I wish it had never happened. But . . .

. . . is it normal to still hate the Dodgers and Giants and Lakers and Jazz and Kings and Warriors and Cardinals and Rams and all these other teams who bolted their original homes?

Like Bubbler said, let it go.

And Gold makes an interesting point, too.

But aren't we told ad nauseum that "good" fans stick with their teams through thick and thin and that only "bandwagon" fans come and go based on the fortunes of their team?

So were the Baltimore fans who stayed away during the dark Irsay years BAD for not being loyal to their team . . . or SMART for not supporting a bad product run in a bad way?

If they were SMART . . . then you can't really blame any fans for being bandwagon fans. They're just being SMART.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd actually like to see the Chargers break out the Dan Fouts-era unis once more. Jerseys were royal blue, gold pants, gold facemask.

[​IMG]

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes... Chargers actually have two uniforms superior to the cookie-cutter they wear now.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

That's f'ing awesome.

Anyway, I'm probably in the minority on this, but I like the Patriots' current color scheme more than the "Pat Patriot Era" colors. Of course, Pat Patriot the logo rules all. Maybe they could dump the Flying Elvis and put Pat Patriot on the helmet, jersey sleeves and the field and get the best of both worlds?

Draft saved Draft deleted