1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best NFL uniform that was abandoned.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 1, 2006.

?

If you could pick one uniform for the NFL to immediately re-activate, which would it be?

1. San Diego Chargers' poweder blues and white helmet

41 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. New England Patriots red, white and clue, with white hiking minuteman helmet

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Vermeil-era Eagles, kelly green with cream-colored band around upper arm along with white and silver

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Montana-era 49ers. Simple, dominant scarlet, gold and white with no trim at all on the uniform, exce

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Buccaneer Bruce and Agent Orange (hey I know this ain't getting the votes... but I LOVED this unifor

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Since that same time span, so do the Steelers (save for a change to match the helmet and jersey numbers), Browns, Bears, Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Dolphins and Saints. More than you might think.

As for best abandoned uniform, the Broncos' orange was old school, but nobody can match the Bucs here.

Just curious, does the Oilers' jerseys count despite the move to Tennessee?

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Oz, what was your initial reaction to the Steelers "uniform change"? I wasn't a fan right away. Now, I actually perfer the current look to the old block numbers.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't remember what it was, but there's a website with uniforms by-the-year for the NFL.

I miss ...

-- the Bills' white helmets and blue uniforms
    -- Patriot Pete and the red Pats
    -- the Eagles and Broncos 80s uni's.
    -- the Cowboys 70s blue uniforms and blue-silver pants
    -- and even though someone ripped it here, I liked the Jets' solid green helmets

From before my time, I can't understand why I like it, but those white Eagles helmets from the early 70s are kind of cool.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I wasn't a fan right away, but I like it. And that made sense because they already had that style number on helmets for decades.

Granted, the numbers look better on some than on others. Like Big Ben's No. 7 looks awfully weak on the jersey to me. But Polamalu's No. 43 and anyone with all curves on the numbers (Ward, Bettis, etc.), those look awesome. Nice way to modernize the jerseys while changing as little as possible so as not to harm the look, the identity. A touch can do wonders while a complete overhaul can be overkill.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

At least J.P. looks good. ::)

[​IMG]

Loved last year's Bills throwback. Sure beats that crap they've been wearing in recent years. I could be wrong, but didn't the players aggressively push ownership to make the change permanent?

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Good, then I won't be alone in Toronto.
    [​IMG]

I miss these. Simple but classic.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Testify brother. I have one of those Marino jerseys....

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Me too, too bad it doesn't fit anymore.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Chris Creamer's website, sportslogos.net?

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Great site, people who are Uni Watch fanatics.
    Yes, I post there too.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I used to, but I lost my SN and password. I haven't been to that site in months.

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

I miss the Skins old gold pants from the '70s.

Draft saved Draft deleted