1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best neo-classical ballpark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If anyone does do D.C., let me know. I have a 20-game plan and a new job that will actually allow me to get away in time to get to some games.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention this, but what about the worst new (post Camden) park?

My vote goes to Minute Maid in Houston. The building itself is way too small, with the seats virtually on top of each other.

And don't even get me started on the f-in joke dimensions that turn routine pop-ups to left field into homers (I'm lookin' at you, Ensberg) ... or the HILL in center field ...

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ensberg is impersonating a major-leaguer in the Bronx, now. Heh, heh.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The hill in center is very dumb.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

One thing I am seeing in the neo-classical ballparks is not just the cookie-cutter shape, but the same type of dimensions for the outfield wall. While they aren't all the same down the lines or to dead center, they all have that little nook or crevice that is supposed to add extra excitement into a game. Citizen's Bank Park has it, the new Nationals park has it and PNC has it. AT&T has it, PETCO has it, etc.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In 2003, a friend and I did Shea, The Vet, The Jake, Wrigley (no U.S. Cellular -- White Sox were on the road), Comerica and PNC in eight days. Drove my Mustang convertible the whole route and had an absolute blast. One of the best trips I've ever done.

Best part was, we only had to pay for tickets to two of the games.

We've been talking for a while about doing one down the Pacific Coastal Highway, flying into Seattle and finishing up in San Diego or Arizona.

Oh, and I didn't want to let this one slide by:
    Are you seriously arguing that having obstructed views is preferable??

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In full disclosure, I was only 6 in 1985. But surely there are more reasons why the Jays yakked a 3-1 lead than Jim Sundberg, just as there are more reasons why the Cards yakked a 3-1 lead than Don Denkinger.

Others have made a good point about some of the "retro" cookie-cutters. But man alive, did some of these old stadiums ever suck.

8. Steak Snabler

Not only that, but I'm not sure that's accurate. Last night, I sat three rows from the top of Turner Field and had a great view of everything. I did the same thing several years ago at Fulton County and could barely see the field.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only stadium from the 70s cookie-cutter era that has held up at all is Royals Stadium. It's still a very, very nice ballpark.

Of course I believe it was the only one built in that era that wasn't a multi-purpose facility. The Truman Sports Complex was a couple of decades ahead of its time.

10. Steak Snabler

Literally and figuratively, it's the only one that's held up. If I'm not mistaken, it's the only one of that ilk (Cincy, St Louis, Philly, San Diego, San Francisco, Atlanta) that's both still standing and still used for baseball ... unless you count Shea, which was built in the mid-60s, but has been baseball-only for 20 years or so.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Favorites, in order:

1. Pittsburgh
    2. San Francisco
    3. Detroit
    4. San Diego
    5. Baltimore
    6. Seattle
    7. Philadelphia
    8. Denver
    9. Cleveland
    10. Phoenix
    11. Dallas
    12. Cincinnati
    13. Houston
    14. St. Louis
    15. Milwaukee
    16. Chicago

Haven't seen D.C. and I'm really looking forward to the two NYC parks and Tampa Bay. With that said, taxpayers should never pay for these things. Ever.

(edit: to add Phoenix and Cleveland)

12. Steak Snabler

Great call. Love the view of the Peabody Hotel above the grandstand.

RiverWalk Stadium in Montgomery, Ala. (home of the Ray's Double-A affiliate) is beautiful as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted