1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best neo-classical ballpark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Mar 31, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With the opening of the Nat, I was wondering which of the "new-old" parks are thought to be the best.
    My faves (that I've visited) are Camden and AT&T Park in S.F. Safeco is a big improvement in Seattle, but it lacks a little something.

2. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

Enjoyed PNC Park in Pittsburgh and Coors Field in Denver. Both have great views (both of the field and the skyline), good beers on tap, fun stuff to do around the stadium. Much better than recent trips to Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins Stadium to see the Marlins. Puke.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This thread's been done before, but it's still fun ...

Camden Yards, the one that started it all, is outstanding. PNC Park in Pittsburgh and the Jake are both great as well.

Comerica is just a little too cavernous to match up with those three and is a bit overdone with tiger eyes and claws, but it's still a helluva field (especially the historical stuff throughout the park). Don't think I've been to any of the others.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Pirates are truly a waste of an amazing ballpark. PNC Park really is a fantastic place to watch a game. Only bad seats in the house are in the press box. Also pretty easy to park and the traffic isn't too bad.

I'm looking forward to seeing Great American Ballpark in August. For those who have seen it, what do you think?

5. It's not in the same ballpark (aren't puns fun) as PNC or Comerica in my mind.

The most enjoyable aspect is that it's a bandbox, so you'll see plenty of fireworks from the smoke stacks in right center (that explode with each Reds homer). Great American has a river view if you're sitting in the club level or upper deck. But, the Ohio River just looks like a really wide, really muddy creek to me. I like going to games there (and go relatively often), but, while being 562,302 times better than Riverfront, it's just not as nice as many of the other new places.

Eat the Skyline Chili Dogs.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Are there any of the old cookie-cutter parks left? I thought St. Louis did a good job gussying up the old Busch.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

SkyDome was based on the cookie-cutter parks, though it did bring something new to the equation with the hotels, wicked fast roof, etc.

For me, it's all about Camden. It's almost as sad of a situation in Baltimore now as it is in Pittsburgh: wonderful park, wasting away.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Read somewhere that Kauffman will be the seventh-oldest park in the bigs after this season... and it opened in 73.

New Busch is OK, I suppose. Only saw one game at the Jake, but enjoyed it. I'd love to get to Camden and PNC in the near future.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dodger Stadium will be the third-oldest once Yankee Stadium goes dark, now that RFK is no more.

Next year, three of the five oldest will be in California.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I rate PNC over Jacobs and Camden just because PNC uses the city skyline and the yellow bridge as part of the visual makeup.

Does the Nat have any of the historic buildings visable over the bleachers?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I love Camden Yards. Even though I no longer love the team that calls it home.

I haven't seen Nationals Park yet and I'm hoping for a report from someone who was there (hi Moddy!)

Draft saved Draft deleted