1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best music producer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

[​IMG]

2. boots

boots New Member

At one time he was. Right now, he could use some help.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, with that hair.

Well, that and that pesky murder charge.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

First guy I thought of.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sam Phillips (Sun Records)

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Ahmet Ertegun

7. Rick Rubin
    Brian Eno
    Jack Endino
    Steve Albini

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Timbaland.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

LOL

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Not sure what's so funny about that reply. Stoob asked who artists want to work with due to a track record of producing hits, and Timbaland is among the top names in that category. Plus, he's made more money than everyone else mentioned on this thread... combined.

I didn't even know until recently that genres like rock actually needed producers. I thought bands just played instruments and recorded it.

To me, stellar production relies on Akai's MPC, a machine that allows a producer to import real instrument sounds and drum noises and then play them by hitting pads on the MPC with their fingers. Computers do the rest.

In rap, every artist I can think of would kill to work with Florida production team The Runners. Just Blaze can make a hit for anyone for around $80K a track, but I personally don't think Scott Storch is super talented, especially charging more than Blaze. Storch's best work will always be the piano riff on Dr. Dre's "Still DRE."

Other producers I'd love to make a record with: Dr. Dre, DJ Paul and Juicy J, Traxamillion, The Neptunes, Mr. Collipark, Kanye West, DJ Toomp, The Alchemist, will.i.am, m.Rell, Cool 'N Dre, Soopafly and Shawty Redd. The three biggest up-and-comers are Don Cannon, Polow Da Don and J.R. Rotem (the dude who signed Sean Kingston as his first artist under the new label).

For R&B singers, it gets no better than Norwegian production duo StarGate (virtually every Ne-Yo song from both albums, Joe, Mario, Rihanna, Mario Vasquez, Trey Songz, Lionel Richie, Paula Deanda).

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First guy I thought of.

Mutt Lange had a very impressive string of hits - and he married Shania Twain which has to count for something.

I'll toss out fellow Canuck Bob Rock.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I was wondering when his name would come up. It was the first name I thought of when I saw this thread.

Tyler D eloquently explains why.

Draft saved Draft deleted