1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movies: Westerns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't forget 'Posse Cat,' released Jan. 30, 1954.
    The ranch cook tells Tom that he won't be getting any more food unless he gets rid of Jerry. After teaming with Jerry for half the food, they stage a fight that gets rid of Jerry. Tom is fed, but double-crossses Jerry.
    It clocks in at 6 minutes, 28 seconds.
    Features a great opening song.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Funny, the movie I remember didn't have John Wayne except in my head.  I found it here ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044205/

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Magnificent Seven

Shane
    For A Few Dollars More
    Rio Bravo
    High Noon
    Open Range
    Quigley Down Under
    Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
    Tombstone
    The Sacketts
    True Grit
    Silverado
    Monte Walsh (although the TNT remake with Tom Selleck adds an unneeded happy ending)
    Tom Horn
    Crossfire Trail
    Cowboy Up (stars Kiefer Sutherland, completely different from the unwatchable Cowboy Way he made with Woody from Cheers)

I hated Unforgiven and the Young Guns movies.

4. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

the searchers
    my darling clementine

can't go wrong with john ford.

5. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
    Once Upon a Time in the West

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's not a movie, but I love the Lonesome Dove miniseries.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I pimp it on here all of the time, but Once Upon A Time In The West is not only the best western ever, it's probably the best movie ever made. It's the Sergio Leone movie after Good, Bad, And The Ugly. Both Empire Strikes Back (in the way the music accompanies the plot, Lucas and director Irvin Kirschner have said they lifted Leone's technique directly from Once Upon A Time In The West) and Kill Bill owe a heavy debt to the movie.

All I can say is it's grandly bad ass. You definitely have to watch it twice, though, to pick up on things.

Leone's Fistful of Dynamite is also interesting, in addition of course, to all of the Eastwood films. And the much better known Once Upon A Time In America is a quasi-sequel at least in theme to Once Upon A Time In The West.

Others in the pantheon ...

Wild Bunch -- also one of the greatest movies ever made
    Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid -- Once Upon A Time In The West, Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy were all released within two months of each other, damn.
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
    Major Dundee
    Pale Rider
    High Plains Drifter
    Johnny Guitar (saw some of it the other night, pretty good)
    The Ballad Of Cable Hogue
    Wyatt Earp -- thought this was better than Tombstone, which I think was out simultaneously
    Wagons East (kidding)

-- probably several others I'm forgetting

Clearly my preference for westerns definitely veers into Leone, Peckinpaugh, Eastwood territory. Though count me among those who thinks Unforgiven is overrated.

It's sometimes characterized as a western, but Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia is worth seeing in a holy shit-that-movie-is-fucked-up kind of way. Definitely influenced Tarantino and Rodriguez.

Westerns I need to see are the myriad "real" Italian spaghetti westerns (violent as hell), The Professionals, and I've somehow never seen Magnificant Seven, though I've seen some of the Seven Samurai.

There's several pre-1960 classics I've never seen. Nearly every western I've seen was made in the modern era. I've tried to make myself sit and watch The Searchers, but I get bored.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Stagecoach
    The Good The Bad and The Ugly
    Hang 'em High
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Unforgiven
    McClintock!
    Support Your Local Sherrif
    Rio Bravo
    My Name Is Nobody

9. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Outlaw Josey Wales
    Tombstone
    Pale Rider

Does Blazing Saddles count?

And am I the only one who liked Open Range, solely for the presence of Duvall, and a pretty cool ending gunfight.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Back to the Future Part III

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

A lot of great choices here. I don't think anyone's mentioned these ones:

"A Fistful of Dollars" -- the first Eastwood-Leone spaghetti western.
    "Red River" -- another classic John Wayne oater.
    "How the West Was Won" -- everybody and their brother was in this flick, including the Duke.

I'll also nominate a couple of underrated Glenn Ford classics -- "The Fastest Gun Alive" and "3:10 to Yuma."

Draft saved Draft deleted