1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movies of 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Harry Lime, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Loved Breakfast Club. It's a great film. I watched it again recently in a college class, actually. But it's nowhere near as funny as Superbad.

It'll be interesting to see Drillbit Taylor in March, as Hughes and Rogen both wrote it. My two favorite films about teenagers remain Superbad and Dazed & Confused.

2. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I don't like to rank movies. I enjoy so many genres that I don't think it's possible to rank. But I did like a lot of movies I saw this year and some stuck out more than others.

Deathproof: Kurt fucking Russell and muscle cars directed by Tarintino
    3:10 to Yuma: I love a good western movie.
    Halloween: An interesting remake, but I still love the classic more.
    Live Free or Die Hard: A fun trip for me. I have fond memories of my dad and I watching the first three at theaters together.
    The Hitcher: Sean Bean acting creepy and Sophia in a short skirt with a shotgun.
    Across the Universe: Pretty good musical even though I'm not crazy about the Beatles.
    The Game Plan: A nice, silly movie to see with the wife.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Away from Her (Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent deserve Oscar nod for this)
    Tracy Fragments (Ellen Page deserves Oscar Nod for this)
    Juno (got to see this at the Atlantic Film Festival in Sept. You really have to see this)
    A Stone's Throw
    Bourne Ultimatum
    Across the Universe
    Michael Clayton
    Reign Over Me
    Paris Je T'aime

I am reserving final spot based on whether I end up liking Charlie Wilson's War and I am Legend.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the Academy will do. I would guess there'd be some action for "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead" because it's a serious film with respected actors, but it was the most depressing film I saw all year.

The films I enjoyed the most were Talk To Me, American Gangster, Into The Wild.

Liked 3:10 to Yuma, Michael Clayton, You Kill Me.

Thought Deejarling Express, Becoming Jane, Golden Compass, August Rush were nothing special.

Tried to see No Country last weekend -- heat was not working in that theater, so we saw Golden Compass instead. Wife got pissed when I called it "Golden Shower."

There was some talk of Oscars (not Best Movie, but some of the actors) for Talk To Me. I think that the fact the movie had very limited release will hurt their chances. The script was nothing special, but the acting was excellent and if you are interested in that era (late 1960s), it's a terrific couple of hours, which is the main factor in how I rate a movie.

5. Cansportschick

Thank the gods that someone agrees with me on this god awful flick. It is a bad ripoff of House Party to me. I can't believe I wasted time going to this movie. Not even Bill Hader could have helped this movie. Xan, I think they really could have used Lionel in this movie ;) ;D

The two worst movies of the year should be Superbad and Knocked Up.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You had me until "not even." Bill Hader is nails on a chalkboard, and Knocked Up was the best movie I saw this year.

7. Point one: I guess that's why you have your opinion and I have mine. :)

And while this is my opinion (and you have yours), I can't possibly see how you could rank Superbad with Fast Times. A lot of the themes are the same, but Fast Times at least had some substance and didn't have to rely on 9,383,203 F-bombs to keep the movie going.

Superbad, or almost any modern comedy of the same sort, can't compare to the classic comedies of the 1970's and 80's. The Breakfast Club, Animal House, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Real Genius (the best of them all, IMO), Weird Science, etc., are miles ahead of today's "high school/college comedies" in terms of being funny.

I must be the oldest 21-year old I know.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

As much as it pains me to say it, the two best movies I saw at the theater this year were Bourne (just bought the trilogy yesterday) and The Transformers. Knocked Up, Into the Wild and American Gangster would be next on the list. Sicko would round out my Top 5. Zodiac was cool too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing:
    No Country ...
    There Will Be Blood
    Assassination of Jesse James ...
    The Lives of Others
    I'm Not There
    Juno
    Gone Baby Gone
    The Lookout
    Michael Clayton
    Once
    Away From Her

Note to self: Rent Lookout and Lives of Others this weekend.

9. Cansportschick

I only went to Superbad because Hader was in it and because I thought Michael Cera was the bomb in Arrested Development (I wish they never cancelled that show). Hader should just stick to his Peter O'Toole impressions on SNL because it has me in hysterics every time he does it.

Harry, never put Fast Times and Superbad in the same breath. There are some things that are too sacred.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Real Genius is criminally underrated and I'm glad someone else agrees.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If Paris, Je T'Aime was released in the US in 2007, it stands as my favorite film in 07. Have not seen Michael Clayton.

1. No Country For Old Men
    2. The Namesake
    3. Into The Wild
    4. Ratatouille
    5. Once
    6. Zodiac
    7. Live Free or Die Hard
    8. Into the Valley of Elah (Love my Tommy Lee Jones)
    9. Knocked Up
    10. Death Proof

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Michael Clayton is well-done, but a few too many extended close-ups of Clooney, though I enjoyed the ending ride for whatever reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted