1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movies of 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Harry Lime, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

OK, I won't stand for that line, Harry. "Right up there" with Fast Times? No. No. Not even fucking close. Not in the same goddamn stratosphere.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've seen exactly 75 movies this year.

Did I mention I love my job?

And the one that lingered with me the longest?

Gone Baby Gone.

No Country for Old Men was 7/8ths the best movie of the year; but like 3:10 to Yuma, the ending blows.

I liked Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End as the best spectacle movie of the year.

The Lookout was my favorite "little movie" until I saw Juno. That one's now my 3rd favorite movie of the year.

Knocked Up was overrated

Michael Clayton woefully underrated

And yes, I laughed during Underdog.

And I still can't quite put my finger on Sweeney Todd. Or Charlie Wilson's War. Neither movie knew what the hell it wanted to be. Both are worth seeing, though. Ditto Stardust.

Once is the sweetest date movie of the year, and belongs on all the Top 10 lists.

There Will Be Blood is, like No Country, beautifully filmed and a very fine film that also belongs on Top 10 lists.

Into the Wild infuriated me.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I know you were trying to be funny. But do yourself a favor and see Hot Fuzz, it was by far the funniest movie of this year. Also, Once is a great, real movie and the music is terrific. Those are the two movies I would recommend from this year that most people haven't heard of.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You can find clips and reviews of many of the movies here:

http://www.reelzchannel.com/

Also, there are clips of an exclusive concert by the couple from Once.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Awesome. After seeing the movie I really wanted to go to a concert but they were mostly done with their tour. I'm getting the DVD the day it comes out but I'm disappointed there's not a concert or clips from one of their concerts in the extra features.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I really enjoyed Reign over me.

I saw "No Country for Old Men" today.. loved it. I'd heard quibbles about the ending. I thought it was magnificent.

Michael Clayton was excellent.

Hot Fuzz is well worth the price of admission (or rental, at this point, I suppose).

I've seen it ripped, on here and in other places, but I enjoyed Halloween.

And I admit I loved Superbad. Yes, it was crude. But I related to it. I'm in my early 20s, so I'm not far removed from high school, but it reminded me a lot of me and my friends - we cursed like drunken sailors. We were absolutely obsessed with sex. We were scared to go our separate ways for college.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If there was a "Worst Movies of 2007" thread, Superbad would hold all 10 spots.

And I'd love to know where this "warmness" was in the movie? The part where he pokes him on the nose when they're deliriously drunk?

8. Songbird

we're too old to understand the humour, ijag.

that said, i'm watching old school ren and stimpy and giggling like a little bizzo.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I made my mom watch the Mr. Hankey ep of South Park, and she alternated between feeling bad for Kyle and laughing. So apparently South Park crosses generations, but Breakfast Club doesn't.

10. Songbird

of course, ferris bueller's day off wouldn't even lick superbad's gooch.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Haven't given it a lot of thought just yet, but any list of mine would definitely include:

Once (if my wife doesn't get me this DVD for Christmas, it's like she doesn't even know me)
    Gone Baby Gone
    Michael Clayton
    No Country For Old Men
    Bourne Ultimatum
    Away From Her
    3:10 To Yuma

I'm reserving a spot for Juno -- I have tremendously high hopes for it and am going to a screening tomorrow night.

As for Superbad, I enjoyed it, but it's quite forgettable. Only time and perspective will convince our young friend of that.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Juno's having a free screening here next week on my day off. I'll catch it then. I'm also very excitedly awaiting it.

Draft saved Draft deleted