1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movies of 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Harry Lime, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But even Porky's was a classic.

Anyhoo, it's all about what we like.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

And you're entitled to that opinion. Still, I'd much rather watch Superbad than Sixteen Candles, which I dont find as amusing, comedic, or relevent. Floppy disks for panties isn't as funny to me as Michael Cera trying to have sex for the first time, Seth Rogan as a bumbling police officer, and the ultimate geek McLovin macking on the ladies and attempting to buy liquor.

3. Songbird

But Anthony Michael Hall was trying to have sex for the first time, too. Not only that, he didn't get Molly Ringwald but the prom queen instead, by drunken circumstance, and their morning-after convo in the convertible in the church parking lot was as real as you can get.

The premise for each is pretty much the same thing. Execution-wise, Sixteen Candles wins in a landslide. And I say this being as fair a judge of movies as anyone.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Good point. Many people have said that Knocked Up is the ultimate date movie -- likeable for both genders, funny enough, sweet enough. I thought it played itself too safe at times; for example, I think the movie could have explored the abortion issue way more than did. Superbad is vulgar, doesn't have many (if any) tender moments, but it still manages to contain an element of warmness as most coming of age films do.

A few nights ago, I was watching The 40-Year Old Virgin for the hundredth time (which is often compared to the two movies above due to Rogen and Apatow) and found it to be a combination of the best of both of these movies. It seems like the first half or so of the film is written more like Superbad, with a slew of straight yet charming crudeness while the second half (after Andy begins dating Trish) begins to turn into a funnier and edgier version of a chick flick similar to Knocked Up, but the entire tone seems to change dramatically from the beginning to the end.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Porky's was a classic. And I would put 'Superbad' in the same category. But, hey, that's just me.

I didn't see too many movies this year.

Bourne Ultimatum I thought was as overrated as the other Bourne movies. Not terrible movies, but they all just left me walking out feeling flat, for lack of a better word (though, as always, the chase scene was awesome and the rooftop chase was pretty good,too).

I'd say Transformers is far and away the best movie I saw this year. Great action, the robots were fantastic, stayed true enough to the original to satisfy a lot of the geeks, but was updated well enough to be relevant. When it wasn't outstanding action, it was funny. Just a great flick (and I'd go so far as to commit the heresy of saying it vastly improved upon the original cartoon).

300 was also outstanding. The visuals were absolutely amazing.

Zodiac didn't do anything for me.

Spider Man 3 had too many villains.

Fantastic Four blew.

There's a ton of movies I still want to see, including American Gangster, 3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men and Eastern Promises.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I'm sorry, but to say Weird Science protrayed teens more convincingly than Superbad ... that's just wrong. I loved both movies and feel they each captured truth about their respective eras' teens.

7. In no particular order:

1. Once
    2. Across The Universe
    3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    4. Reign Over Me
    5. Knocked Up
    6. Zodiac
    7. The Number 23
    8. American Gangster
    9. Halloween
    10. The Golden Compass

IMO, Reign Over Me is criminally underrated. Absolutely loved it.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

No, Xan, kids from the '80s don't understand what it was like to be awkward around the opposite sex. Apparently that's a relatively new phenomenon.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Live Free or Die Hard was the most fun I had at the movies this year.

Of course, I only went to the theater twice. But I rented it again last week and it still rocked.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I brought this up when the movie was released back in the spring but you can't talk about Top Ten without mentioning "Away From Her"

Julie Christie will be up for Golden Globe & Oscar nominations for Best Actress.

11. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

Yikes!!! The Number 23 was lousy. Not to mention The Golden Compass and Reign Over Me.

When I mentioned Apatow with "Superbad," I meant that it pretty much came from his camp of comedians. He was the producer. I still think it was better than Knocked Up, though.
    It was right up there with the best high school movie ever -- Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

12. Songbird

Again, it's a perspective thing. It won't be funny to you if you weren't there, when computers were just starting to come of age. Floppy disks were the shit. Everything you did depended on those floppy disks. You had to be there to understand, so I understand how you, in today's totally different world from that of 1986, wouldn't find that funny.

The previews for Superbad excited me. Thought it would be the shit. That's why I was so pissed with how shitty it was.

Interested to know what you think of The Breakfast Club.

Draft saved Draft deleted