1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movies of 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Harry Lime, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My two favorites, not sure of which one I liked better:

Michael Clayton
    No Country for Old Men

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gotta love when the Pampers Generation lets us 36-year-olds know when we don't get something.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm 27 and I didn't think it was that funny. It was kind of funny, just nowhere near as funny as Knocked Up.

4. Songbird

Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science ... that's how you make teen-driven movies.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

And you were a teenager during the '80's.

Completely different kinds of comedy.

6. Songbird

Those movies stand the test of time.

What was there to "get" about Superbad?

7. Good call, STG. Michael Clayton was fantastic, for several different reasons, but mostly for the spellbinding plot. Smart, sharp storytelling. I thought George Clooney was tremendous -- best role I've ever seen him in. I'd be very, very surprised if he and Tom Wilkinson aren't nominated for Oscars, let alone win them.

(There is an intense scene with the two, in an alley, with Wilkinson holding a bag of loaves of French bread, that is the best I've seen in a movie in a long, long time. I'd go to that movie 20 times just to watch that scene.)

I liked No Country for Old Men, too, but not as much as I'd wanted to like it. You know how you go to a movie expecting it to be the best thing you've ever seen -- so anything less is a letdown? That's kind of how I felt about that one. Michael Clayton was a pleasant surprise, No Country was a mild, mild disappointment just because it had been hyped.

Gone Baby Gone was not as good, to me, as the above two. Loved Bourne Ultimatum. Didn't like Eastern Promises at all.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Mainly the awkwardness and sloppy crudeness of teenage social interaction, the insecurity around the opposite sex, and the pressures of being a high school senior. They captured it surprisngly well, at least for this high school Class of '06 graduate and my friends. Of course it was amplified a few notches, with the uproarious cop characters added, but I feel this was so much more authentic than a movie like The Breakfast Club, which is no doubt a great film but very noticeably dated. Although in 20 years they'll be saying the same thing about Superbad.

9. Songbird

Teens on a quest to get laid.

Anthony Michael Hall telling Molly Ringwald he'll give her a stack of floppy disks for her panties is a thousand times funnier than any single line in Superbad.

10. Songbird

Uproarious cops? I wanted to slash my throat every time those cops were on screen.

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

"Zodiac" was the best movie I've seen this year. I need to see "No Country" again -- partied too much the night before, so I dozed off during part of the movie and I couldn't concentrate on the ending. The acting was great, however.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved Superbad. Thought it was hilarious.

If I had to choose a movie to watch with my buddies, it would be Superbad, with a girl it would be Knocked Up. Two completely different movies.

Knocked Up was a "sweet" comedy with some crude jokes, whereas Superbad went straight for crude. Superbad was like Porky's revisited.

Draft saved Draft deleted