1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movie Trilogies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 29, 2012.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Because Slap Shot 3 was atrocious, and Slap Shot 2 wasn't far behind.

My top trilogies would be Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Toy Story.

I can't vote for Godfather, because of part 3. The other two films are awesome, but the third one falls flat.

Harry Potter would be up there for me too, but it's a series, not a trilogy.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's just creepy.

I also liked the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I'm really not a fan of horror movies (Appreciation for Walking Dead aside). I think it was the first movie that I saw with meaningful scenes during or after the credits. A friend of mine, who loves horror movies, left as soon as the credits started when she saw it and didn't realize until I told her that there was more to the movie.

Of course, it helped that I saw an early afternoon show a week or two after it opened. My nephew and I were the only people in the theater. That certainly increased the creepy factor.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Would love to see '28 Months Later' to top off 28 days and 28 week later.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The second Austin Powers movie is the first movie I saw in the theater that I recall having post-credits scene.

Speaking of which, Austin Powers should qualify as a trilogy.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Trilogy to leave out of the discussion: Major League.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Obvious: "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones"

Not-so-obvious and worth a mention: First three films of "Dirty Harry" series: "Dirty Harry," "Magnum Force" and "The Enforcer" ("Sudden Impact" wasn't too shabby, either).

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Only one Slap Shot was made. The other two didn't happen. At least that's how I sleep at night.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't know about this. The first and second ones were a lot of fluff. And the third peaked too early (Savage v. Steamboat), leaving the final conclusion of Hogan vs. Andre a bit disappointing.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good call...

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My favorite trilogy is Raiders/Temple/Crusade. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is my favorite movie ever.

Star Wars, of course, and have always liked the "Back to the Future". Surprised that many people here didn't like the third one. The first exchange between Marty and Mad Dog makes me laugh every time.

"What's your name dude?"

"Eastwood. Clint Eastwood!"

"What kind of STUPID name is that?"

Also some love for "The Naked Gun". Best exchange in the trilogy comes in 2 1/2

Drebin: "Hector Savage. Hey, I know this guy. Ex-boxer, real name is Joey Chicago. He fought under the name Kid Minneapolis."

Nordberg: "Hey I saw Kid Minneapolis fight once! In Cincinnati!"

Drebin: "No, you're thinking of Kid New York who fought out of Philly."

Ed: "He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, The Arizona Assassin?"

Nordberg: "Yeah, from Dakota! I don't remember if it was North or South."

Drebin: "North! South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia!"

Ed: "You sure know your boxing Frank."

Drebin: "Well, all I know is never bet on the white guy."

Nordberg nods in agreement.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Three pages and no mention of Billy Jack. This thread is an abomination.

Draft saved Draft deleted