1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movie Trilogies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 29, 2012.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really throw "Terminator" in as a trilogy anyway. There has to be a definite three-part act to the storylines, not just three movies in the same franchise. I ranked them in terms of their function as a trilogy as much as their quality (in which Godfather I and II take the cake).

Star Wars
    Toy Story
    LOTR
    Godfather
    Dark Knight
    Matrix
    Pirates
    Alien
    Scream

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

1.Back to the Future 2.Indiana Jones 3. Star Wars 4. Toy Story

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think Indy 2 or 3 was very good.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Bourne is my favorite trilogy of all time. Only because GF III was terrible.

Can't wait for Bourne Legacy.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The goal of this thread is not to name every trilogy ever. The first two Beverly Hills Cop movies were good, though.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If not for the stupid third movie, the first three "Superman" films would stack up well here. "Superman" and "Superman II" were very good.

Someone mentioned the Star Trek movies. I am a big and loyal Trek fan, but Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the film that started the big-screen run for the franchise, was probably the weakest of the 11 movies that have been made so far. It was highly anticipated, but turned out to be a dud -- definitely the slowest-moving, most boring movie of them all.

"Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" was excellent, and "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" had its moments and continued well an ongoing storyline. All the other movies certainly worked for Trek fans, at least, and could be good entertainment.

"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" was an excellent adventure, and the 2009 prequel edition was great. People who weren't Trek fans could watch that one and enjoy it, although it definitely helped to be familiar with the series because there were many passing "insider" references that you might not get otherwise.

As you can probably tell, I'm a Sci-fi fan, and, of the trios mentioned thus far, the first three "Star Wars" movies are far and away my favorites. Liked "X-Men" as well.

I'm definitely an early-movie "Rocky" fan, too, and "The Karate Kid" first three are appealing, although more so for for a certain age group. I get the quality of the "Toy Story" movies, but I just could never get into them.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The enduring shame of Indiana Jones was/is that after the first five minutes, II was bad, and IV (a sordid moneygrab of the worst sort) should never have been made . . . all the sadder, since I was a breath of fresh air, and III was a monument to just how good that sort of movie can be.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

I admit, I am a fanboi, but Rocky, Rocky II and Rocky III is my choice.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Naked Gun

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I especially love that they hired a real murderer for the cast.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? I thought one of the castmemembers is searching out there for a real murderer?

12. HE's not a murderer. He's a hotel-room invader

Draft saved Draft deleted