1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movie Trilogies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 29, 2012.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

What, no one has mentioned Twilight yet? I am shocked. Shocked I tell you. Perhaps my least favourite part of the new Spiderman move was the preview for a fourth Twilight movie. Why? I ask you, Why?????

Too many people raging on Jedi. I loved Jedi. I loved the Ewoks kicking the shit out of the Empire in Endor. For a long time, when I was a kid, it was my favourite of the trilogy (I refuse to acknowledge the new ones exist). My favourite is now probably Empire, with the other two to close to call, but Jedi was hardly a disaster. Still love it.

And I wish I could push more for Die Hard, but the second one was just so bloody terrible. If the fourth could replace the second one to make a trilogy, it should be in the discussion as well.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I should clarify. I've never heard anybody argue that Empire was the weak link. I have heard that argument plenty about Jedi.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'd suggest with a piece of literature as well loved and respected as the LOTR trilogy, you better be damn sure you're faithful to the original. And that is not easy .

And I'm not a LOTR geek but the books are fabulous as were the movies.

And the Puzo novel was a clunky best-seller. The movie improved upon the novel a hundred times over.

And I'm in the Bourne camp. Love the trilogy. And I found the Ludlum novels unreadable.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Original Star Wars movies going away for me. And I love Monty Python. (throw in my love for Rush and it may be a small miracle that I've had sex with a woman.)

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love Monty Python, but 'Holy Grail,' 'Life of Brian' and 'Meaning of Life' do not constitute a trilogy.

I loved the Star Wras movies as a kid, but I don't think they've aged well at all. I've frequently hear people opine that 'Empire' was the best of the three. I don't think 'most' people would include 'Empire' in a conversation about the worst.

I love the LOTR novels. I really liked the movies, but they were painfully long at times.

For all of the faults of 'Spiderman 3,' that was pretty good series.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This statement has me absolutely flabbergasted. Terminator: Salvation, while not on the level of the first two films, was a pretty damn good action movie. T3 was the embarrassment. And to say that Rambo 4 was better than Salvation? Sheer lunacy. Rambo 4 was excruciatingly, embarrassingly awful.

I also don't get the hate for Return of the Jedi, but I'll concede that many fans of Star Wars like that one a lot less than I do.

To me, Star Wars is far and away the best trilogy ever made. Lord of the Rings is probably second, though I'd only put it ahead of Indiana Jones because those movies are more episodic. They aren't a true "trilogy" in that each film stands pretty well on its own. You couldn't watch Return of the Kings without having seen the first two movies. You can watch The Last Crusade and fully enjoy it without ever having seen Raiders.

As for fourth movies, I have to echo whomever mentioned Mission Impossible 4, which was the best of the three MI movies I've seen (I haven't seen the third).

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not among the best, by no means, but if it hadn't been for such a sucky third, the Karate Kid trilogy.

First one was awesome. Second one was very good. Third one was pathetic. And I'm not counting any other ones with girl karate kids, or Will Smith's kid Karate Kids.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm guessing because of some direct-to-video and TV specials that Shrek doesn't count as a trilogy.

The first two Shrek movies were outstanding, Shrek the third was pretty good, but Shrek Forever After was meh and the direct to TV stuff was pretty mediocre.

Another overlooked trilogy in this thread because all three movies were mediocre to crap are the three Beverly Hills Cop movies with Eddie Murphy.

Of the ones that have been mentioned, I agree that Toy Story is definitely at the top of the list followed closely by the original Star Wars trilogy.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Agreed.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is the reason the LOTR trilogy was so amazing: Do you understand exactly how hard that bolded statement was to pull off? To re-create that world so faithfully was an accomplishment in itself.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think there are multiple ways to look at the question.

If you are asking which trilogy I would like to sit down and watch again right now, it would be Star Wars. Is that a sentimental choice? Yeah, probably. Star Wars was the first movie I saw in a theater. It the only one I've seen in a theater more than once. It is one of the few movies I own on DVD and if it comes on TV, I still have to watch it.

In terms of quality, are they the best trilogy ever? Nope. I think the Bale-Nolan Batman movies are better, as are quite a few others. But I'm also the guy who thinks The Dark Knight Rises was the better movie, but The Avengers was more fun to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted