1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie of the year so far: Bourne Ultimatum.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

And as a guy, I'm comfortable saying this: Matt Damon is a fucking badass. He's easily one of my favorite actors and I have a hard time thinking of a shitty movie he's been in. (I'm not trying too hard ... but still coming up with nothing.)

How he's friends with that douchbag Ben Affleck, I have no idea. Jesus, Affleck isn't 10 percent the actor Damon is.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Legend of Bagger Vance and All the Pretty Horses sucked pretty big horse cock, IMO.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry. Not all of us were fortunate enough to not have dates who wanted to see the movie.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Went to it on Wednesday night and it was by far, the best movie of the summer. One suggestion is that you should see the other two Bournes before you see this one.

However, there isn't a dull or boring moment in the movie.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Even with a date, there's no excuse for seeing All the Pretty Horses!

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Gotta agree with everyone else. Saw it this afternoon and it was awesome from start to finish. The fight in Tangier is the best of the series, IMO. As far as movies I've seen this year, I'd rank it second behind "Once" and just ahead of "Hot Fuzz."

7. I hear great things.
    Greengrass is a terrific director and this series gets some A-level --Joan Allen and S=David Strathairn -- acting talent.
    Tonight or tomorrow.

8. Haven't seen it yet, but plan on it soon.

I have a hard time believing it will be better than Once. That was easily the best movie I've seen in a long, long time.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Agreed. I saw Once twice in theatres, something I've never done before.

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Loved the movie; I thought the whole scene/couple scenes with the writer were tremendous.

But, I must quibble: The ending sucked.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Clearly, Bourne was a different asset, because he lived through what was supposed to be his death and went on a rampage to avenge turning him into the guy he was.

But there's absolutely no way that an asset lets him live when he has a point blank shot at him. I get the whole "why didn't you take the shot?" dynamic, but this guy had terrorized the organization for how many years? Sorry, he doesn't let him live.

I'd like to say it was a minor issue, but it's not really that minor, and it took away from the film for me. Either write the ending a different way, or have the asset kill him, which would have wrapped it up nicely.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Strathairn & Allen are fabulous in the flick. Man, Strathairn can act.

Was off Friday so I took my 19 year old twin boys.

Caught the noon show--first on our block.

This is the perfect Matt Damon role.

He doesn't have to show a huge range of emotions and he's got that classic American boy next door kinda look.

Oh, and for "All the Pretty Horses" haters, read the book. Great American novel.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Great movie, and quite better than Die Hard 4 - but they're almost too different in that Die Hard was just too much kick-ass action and this one was a lot of intellectual action (if that makes any sense).

And CSC, I've got to disagree with you there. Well, almost - I've seen the other two in the past, but didn't remember them that much, and still enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted