1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie of the year so far: Bourne Ultimatum.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 30, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As a Ludlum mark, I'm very happy to hear that the movie's good --- especially the two-thumbs-up part.

I must admit to a bit of surprise, though --- it's rare that studios save good movies for August. Hell, when I went to the flicks the other night the previews for the August releases were so God-awful that I wanted to dig my eyes out with an melon-ball scoop. That's why I've been approaching the third Bourne movie a bit warily.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

Completely different storyline --- the whole Carlos undercurrent is so dated that it's been removed wholesale from the movies.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you take the Carlos undercurrent out..what's left? ;D

4. 2muchcoffeeman

:D

Ludlum was still alive when the first movie was made and had a lot of input into the storyline of the flick. It's still a great Ludlum story, with all the twists and turns that implies, but it's definitely not the same story you're familiar with.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Actually, it kind of a smart move to release it later in the summer. True, most of the studios release the crap in August. But earlier in the summer, it seems like a bloodbath, with one big movie coming out after another. By releasing a good movie amidst all the crap, they can grab more of the audience and stick around for a few weeks with little competition. The second Bourne opened in late July.

For some reason, Harrison Ford had a run of ruling the August release. The Fugitive (1993) and Clear and Present Danger (1994) are a couple of examples.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some reason I thought Clear and Present Danger was a May release. I may be mixing it up with one of the other Jack Ryan movies though...

I agree that it's a good move to release this in August. This will open big, but it's not going to put up the kind of figures that most of the Blockbusters do, but could approach $200 million if it's as good as they say. That would still be tough since kids won't be seeing this and it won't get the repeat business that some of the shit flicks (Transformers, Shrek 3, Spidey 3, Pirates 3) all do... I think it will open around $50 million and finish around $150 mil. The thing that's so great about the Bourne franchise is that they all make a fortune overseas...

I hope this is as good as they say. The first two were tremendous...

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

And how could we forget the cinematic triumph that was Talladega Nights came out in August last year.

8. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Really? You thought the movies were better? The books were amazing. The second one is still one of my all-time favorites.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Jaws.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Joe nailed one there.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! - I can't wait to see it!

It's been quite a trick to pull off Cold War material and make it feel fresh, but this series has done it.

I loved the first one, thought the second one was good.

Damon has said he wouldn't keep doing them unless the scripts were truly great, so I guess he's stuck to that.

Joan Allen and Julia Stiles are two of my favorite actresses.

Typical woman, I'm always curious about the romantic storylines, and I've just been waiting for something between Bourne and Nicky, but I know if they do that storyline it will be subtle and well done.

My favorite scene from Supremacy was when Bourne took Nicky hostage on the train. So tense!

I can not WAIT to see this !!!!!!!!!! You've made my day, TV, by saying it's good!

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shawshank.

Draft saved Draft deleted