1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie of 2012...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I completely agree with your assessment of every movie here that we both saw. I mean, these are dead-on assessments. Wow.

2. I think you are gay for me

3. Dick Whitman

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You should consider a better grade for 'Ted.'
    Mark Wahlberg and Seth MacFarlane are from Worcester.

5. I'm gay for Worcester but Wahlberg is from Boston and MacFarlane is a Rhody

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Everybody north of Yonkers is the same.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't think I've seen that many movies in my life.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's funny... I'll bet when I was single I would average about 80-100 movies in the theater a year. One year I went 120 times...

I think I went 10-15 times last year, almost all to kid's movies or to the drive-in where the kids would watch Ice Age or Brave and then I would watch Spiderman and the Avengers while they slept.

The bulk of my list was watched on Demand, DVD or pay cable.

9. Dick Whitman

Mizzou, I agree with a lot of your assessments, as well. I did hate "The Hunger Games" and largely didn't like "The Dark Knight Rises." I totally agree with you on "Jeff, Who Lives at Home," "Brave," "Magic Mike," "The Campaign," "That's My Boy," and "American Reunion."

I think that part of what made "Killer Joe" - my favorite of the year to this point, having not seen some of the big ones out now - is how "over the top" it was. Reminded me of "Drive" and "Blue Velvet," in a lot of ways. It's like Friedkin said, "Fuck it, I'm going for it all."

I'm torn on "Beasts of the Southern Wild." I thought it was tremendous at times. I thought it was manipulative at times. I'm still left wondering if there was much there there. I thought it was somewhat uncohesive. Like a big stew of elements that didn't all end up making sense together.

I didn't think "The Five-Year Engagement" was boring, really. I just thought it was severely flawed, for two reasons: (1) Contrived. Just get married already. Everyone has obstacles. Yours isn't some great shakes; and (2) Ann Arbor as a Midwest hick town? Come on.

I think "Men in Black 3" was better than "not terrible."

I thought "Friends With Kids" was horribly contrived - an hour and 40-plus minutes just to set up the writer/director's oh-so-clever, yuppies-will-be-all-abuzz-about-it last line. I think that both "Friends With Kids" and "The Five-Year Engagement" desperately tried to separate themselves from the rest of the romantic comedy field. But in the end, neither had the guts to mix up the formula. The movie that did work (except for the tacked-on ending): "Ruby Sparks."

I think that "Moonrise Kingdom" was, if anything, underrated because it's been lost in the shuffle having come out so early. I loved it.

I'll be watching "Looper" on Thursday and Friday. Can't wait.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm watching Moonrise Kingdom on Thursday and am very excited for it.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think you'll like it. :)

12. Dick Whitman

I think you'll like it. I know you loved "Hugo," and it succeeds in some of the same ways with its child actors and characters on center stage.

Draft saved Draft deleted