1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I didn't mind him knocking him out in the earlier rounds, I just didn't like that the round he took him out in seemed to last much longer than a round should last. Next time I watch it, I'm going to take the stopwatch to it. :)

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That was a good 30 minutes before the end.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--Dead Man Walking, with the crucifixion symbolism of the executed and the murdered, and then the father of the victim (Lee Ermey in a criminally overlooked turn) praying with the nun for peace, for the execution didn't bring him any. And a little bit before all that, a perfect demonstration of how strained a last supper surely would be.
    --Something About Mary. Jonathan Richman getting shot by the jealous gun nut, followed by the drummer furtively scurrying away. And then the outtakes shown to Build Me Up Buttercup. Awesome.
    --The Naked Gun. O.J. Simpson in the wheelchair being sent down rows of stands in Dodger, er, Anaheim Stadium.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

yeah, I forgot Jenny dies after the wedding and little Forrest gets on the bus.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

First one I thought of was "The Usual Suspects."

One I always loved: "Radio Days," the Woody Allen movie. The whole movie is essentially a love letter to the days of the old radio dramas. It ends with a bunch of people on a roof in 1950s New York in front of a big animated neon sign. They all walk off, and the sign slowly tips its cap.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Another click for the original Halloween. (the score for that film was freakin' great!)

Another mention for another Carpenter film, "The Thing."

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Boyz in da Hood when Ricky gets shot the same day he gets the letter (but doesn't live to see) the letter getting him into USC.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Escape from New York
    Das Boot

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always thought the end to the fight in the first "Rocky" seems rather abrupt. It's like Apollo gets in a few punches, then Rocky slugs him a couple of times on the ropes, and the bell rings, just like that.

A few more great endings:

"Strangers on a Train": The scene at the carnival where the good guy and bad guy fight on a carousel which ends up spinning around like crazy after the guy running it gets shot and killed by a stray cop bullet, and leans forward.

"About Schmidt": It wasn't the greatest movie ever, but I really like how Nicholson starts crying when he opens up the handmade picture that the little boy in Africa drew him.

"Schindler's List": When all the actors, and the real-life Schindler Jews, put rocks on Schindler's grave.

"Major League": Yeah, you know how it's going to end, but I love Uecker's "The Indians win it! The Indians win it! Oh, my God, the Indians win it! Ha-ha!" call.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gave this a lot of thought before pitching in with this one:

"All That Jazz." Don't want to spoil it if you've never seen it, but the last scene is one hell of a critique on show business.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Cannot believe it took as long as it did for this one to come up.

First time I saw it was when I was in college at a packed theater, and when the payoff line was delivered, everyone stood and cheered. It's the first and last time I've seen a standing ovation in a movie theater.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thelma and Louise was certainly an odd ending. I always figured that there would be a sequel, that would start out with them driving on a road below the cliff they went off.

Draft saved Draft deleted