1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jun 1, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i know the film has its detractors nut anyone -- ANYONE!! -- who isn't crying when the words, 'dad, you wanna have a catch?' come out of costner's mouth has absolutely no heart or soul. myself? i still bawl like a baby and will surely again on 'father's day' when the three stooges and i have our annual viewing.

all i ever expect of them on dad's day is a card and the teo hours they have to sit still for this. and if my dad is also in attendance, perfection...

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Good choices all around people, but no love for Animal House, Deathmobile? Flying playmates?

Senator and Misses John Blutarsky.

Daniel Simpson Day. Whereabouts Unknown.

The Birdcage, were Gene Hackman dresses up as a tranny to escape the Paparazzi.

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

4. Am I on Ignore or something?

Sheesh ... :D

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

It's A Wonderful Life.
    Saving Private Ryan

Both are guaranteed to make things a little dusty in my house.

Then there is Killick's favorite. . . . Dude, Where's My Car.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Favorite quirky ending : Dr Strangelove

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Hmm.. good call on Glory above. Something about the choir in the background really cements the burial scene.

As for some of my favorites..

Major League... of course you knew the Indians would win. And the pointing is over the top. But man, what a great PLAY to end a game on.

Snatch... Brick Top had it coming. And Dennis Farina was awesome in that movie.

And while Band of Brothers isn't a movie, the ending is still perfect. Maj. Dick Winters: "Grandpa wasn't a hero. But he served in a company of heroes."

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rocky II? WTF

I thought this was a message board for sports journalists.

Rocky - The look on Creed's face when Rocky gets back up.

The Natural - In the field with his son.

Hoosiers - I love you guys.

And yes, The Sting is fantastic because you are not quite sure is Newman and Redford are on the same page when you see it for the first time.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

In the Western category, Butch Cassidy is the obvious choice. But here's a plug for the ending of High Plains Drifter. After it's all said and done, and the drifter fades into the heat waves over the desert, it's guaranteed to raise the hair on the back of your neck. A very underrated Western classic.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Halloween.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The Straight Story -- Lynch's best film, with an ending that is the definition of "quietly devastating." If it doesn't make you cry, you are a cyborg.

No Country For Old Men -- Perfect ending. Per-fect. The abruptness IS THE POINT. In its abruptness, it teaches you a lesson about how to watch movies and how to listen. Forces you to immediately remember the previous 1:30 in the darkness of the credits.

The (original) Vanishing -- Creepier than the end of The (original) Wicker Man. Superbly horrible ending. This ending could sue the word "payoff" for copyright infringement. Delightfully nauseating and creepy payoff.

The Empire Strikes Back

Draft saved Draft deleted