1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Movie Ending of All-Time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 12, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So I was reading something interesting on Yahoo. They had a list of the most shocking movie twists and it got me thinking ... What movie had the best ending I've ever seen?

Now, I'm not taking twists. I'm not taking storywise. I'm talking most satisfying ending you've ever seen.

The type of movie where the ending makes you scream out in your head "fucking brilliant!!!".

It doesn't have to be a good movie. It doesn't have to be anything really.

To you, and only you, what is the best movie ending of all time?

Also, for shits and giggles, which movie endings do you think are over-rated.

Obviously, given the nature of this thread, please attach spoiler warnings so as to not ruin anything for anyone who hasn't seen said movie. Please also do this when quoting as well.

Ah, hell, have some fun.

For me, the best ending to a film I have ever seen is a tie between Saw and Independence Day.

[[[[[[[spoiler warning for Saw and Independance Day]]]]]]]]

For Saw, finding out it was Jigsaw in the middle of the room the whole time really got my heart beating. Add to that the absolutely phenomenal score and the fact that I actually cared about the film up to that point and you've got a recipe for success. I remember seeing this on DVD and having goosebumps as I watched it. It was that damn good.

Now I know a lot of people are likely to criticize me for that, but I'm just saying, that ending made that film amazing for me. When I walked into it, I thought it was going to be a piece of crap and afterwards I couldn't get that ending out of my heads for months.

As for Independence Day, I'd say that everything following the Presidents "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day" had me on the edge of my seat the first time I saw it. It was just powerful stuff for me as a movie fan. And the line that always gets me is after the drunk bastard blows himself up the laser beam (which, BTW, pretty lame), someone in the Nasa-type control room screams out "He did it, the son of a bitch did it!!!!". When I hear that, I get chills watching the reactions everyone has.

[[[[[[[[[End Spoiler]]]]]]]]]

So, let's get a discussion going. What do you guys think?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think actually, it's the President who yells, "the son of a bitch did it" when Quaid makes his suicide run up the bunghole of the alien ship. ;)

3. You liked "Saw"? I was distracted by the god-awful acting.

I know it's dorky and they sold out the novel, but I still get chills when Roy Hobbs hits one into the lights in "The Natural"

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Empire Strikes Back is an obvious one.

5. schiezainc

Oh the acting was terrible. And I remember thinking that as I watched the film. But I was still able to put myself into that situation and get invested into the characters and I think that's what a horror film should do. After watching the ending, it turned the film from a 'C' to an 'A' for me.

But yes, the acting was terrible.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Any M. Night Shamafraudalotdingdong movie. Because the ending means IT'S FINALLY MERCIFULLY OVER. [/cross-threading]

I liked Saw and thought the ending was great, but I saw it coming, Honestly!

I think my favorite ending is listed on that Yahoo story: Arlington Road. I still can't believe it ended like that.

A close second is Miracle Mile, an otherwise non-descript B movie from the late '80s which ends with nuclear holocaust.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Notebook had everyone in the theater teary-eyed. Just a fantastic ending to a great movie.

Rocky.

Bad News Bears.

Kramer vs. Kramer.

I'll think of more, no doubt.

8. The Usual Suspects

9. schiezainc

I really hated the Notebook.

Of course, I'm a guy and was in the theater watching it with a girl who I had very strong feelings for. Needless to say, those feelings weren't reciporcated and since I could tell at the time we were out watching this flick, I had a pretty crappy time overall.

Maybe I'll give it a second chance. I do remember there were boobs in the film.

Seconded. Though I did see it coming in the beginning as the film wore on I just put it in the way back of my mind.

10. Cool. I wasn't putting you down, BTW. Even people who love the original "Saw" admit the acting is horrific - as do you.

11. schiezainc

The moment where Carey Elwes (not sure of the spelling) is cutting off his own foot is one of the worst things I've ever seen in terms of terrible acting in a crucial spot.

It's like the directors said "OK, Carey, now just grit your teeth and make loud noises. Pretend your an small poodle getting fucked in the ass by a T-Rex. Ready? Go!!"

About the only redeemable acting in the whole flick (besides Jigsaw, who IMO nailed it) was Danny Glover and that's only because he basically played Sgt. Murtaugh with less emphasis on "I'm getting too old for this shit".

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rocky was great, but I wish they had made it a little more clear that Creed had won. Not easy to make out the announcer's call over all the cacophony following the fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted