1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/most important American rock band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Faces were great.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw Rod Stewart at Caesar's during his Vegas residency. It was a pretty schlocky Vegas production -- fancy set, all-female string section in matching gowns, heavy emphasis on the "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" end of his discography. His voice sounded great but overall it was really forgettable.

About 2/3 of the way through the set most of the band walks off stage and he says "I'm gonna do a song for you we've never done here in Vegas." Rod, one guitarist, a bass player and a drummer tore through "Every Picture Tells a Story." It was fucking AMAZING. For about five minutes he was once again the greatest rock singer on earth.

Then it was back to "Hot Legs" and kicking soccer balls into the crowd.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Come on, that’s like “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself,” hut for the young-ins.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do people really not understand what the Beach Boys were in the '60s?

misterbc and PCLoadLetter like this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

I think a lot of people know the early boy-band-does-Chuck-Berry stuff and the later Mike Love version of the band playing the grand openings of supermarkets, and they don't appreciate how mind-bendingly wonderful the "Pet Sounds" era was.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Beatles, the Stones, and Beach Boys here going head to head with each other, and inspiring each other.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

Yep. "Sgt. Pepper" is absolutely a response to "Pet Sounds."

And "Pet Sounds" is better.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really don't know how influential the Beach Boys are - Brian Wilson? Absolutely. Remember the Wrecking Crew played on most of the albums.

9. PCLoadLetter

It's a meaningless distinction. Brian Wilson essentially was the Beach Boys. When we say they were influential we're not suggesting it was because Dennis had a bitchin' drum solo.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Three Dog Night was huge in the late '60s and early '70s, too.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Santana
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers

Draft saved Draft deleted