1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/most important American rock band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Pixies

Recorded three years before Smells Like Teen Spirit.

2. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Beach Boys, Eagles and Steely Dan are the ‘Big 3’.
    SDs catalogue is peerless. They aren’t the most important band but they are the best.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Eagles are like the Flying Burrito Brothers if you stripped away everything that made the Flying Burrito Brothers great.

[​IMG]

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'd take the Allman Brothers over the Eagles any day. The Eagles had skills, but they had no soul.

Gator likes this.
  5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The death of Duane Allman derailed what could have been an all-time band. If he were alive, both of these questions could be answered.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lyrics a little dark for commercial radio.

7. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

ABB musicianship is first rate, no question, and created Southern rock genre. Im unaware of anyone preceding them. “Fillmore” is, after “White Album”, my favourite album and I still play selected cuts once a week during workouts.
    I was considering the Eagles mass appeal and their undeniable influence on folk rock especially during their best period which like most bands is about 4 years. IMO “On the Border” is their best album, not a bad track on it.
    SD fused jazz and rock but didn’t really create anything new but JFC their good stuff is astonishing. Personally I like a little slop in my rock from time to time but Steely Dan is sublime.
    I don’t believe anyone disputes the Beach Boys inclusion on this list.
    I’ll stick with my 3 picks but Allmans are v special.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A shit ton. Too many to list.

9. Slacker

Yeah, ABB would have been even better, but it's an all-time band anyway. Rhythm and blues at its best, and for decades.

Gator likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Are there are no female bands in the best/most important discussion?

I think about the Supremes, but they are more a singing group than a band since they didn't play instruments.

The Runaways launched the careers of female rockers Lita Ford and Joan Jett, but the Go-Gos, Bangles, Banarama are more novelty groups.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd stop short of calling the Go-Gos a novelty act. They wrote all their own songs and played their own instruments, only girl band to ever do that and land a No. 1 album.

12. Slacker

"We Got the Beat" has one of the best opening hooks anywhere. I've always thought that song kicks ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted